PDA

View Full Version : Flying a Tiger Moth

Prophead
7th Nov 2008, 11:22
Hi

I'd like to get checked out on a tiger moth or stampe or something similar. Ive only ever flown a 'spamcan' and will continue to do so but really fancy flying an open cockpit plane as well.

How many hours on average would it take to convert? I have no taildragger rating so would like to do this on the aircraft. Does anyone know whether this can be done at White Waltham? Can you then hire one solo?

Brooklands
7th Nov 2008, 13:12
Prophead,

I don't think you can do it at White Waltham. The only places that come immediately to mind are the Cambridge flying club who train on Tiger Moths, and the Tiger Club at Headcorn. As to soloing one I'm not sure - I think the Tiger club required something like 50 hours on tailwheel aricraft before letting you go solo on their Tigers.

Brooklands

josher
7th Nov 2008, 18:16
in my experience open cockpit flying is far from everyones taste so you need to try before you get carried away. Many of the people I fly never come back for a second helping having got it out of the system [ or it could be my flying I suppose]. If you fly there you could probably bum a ride from one of the many at WW and could certainly have a trial lesson at Headcorn with the tiger Club which would give you the back seat perspective. If you really think its wonderful we have a share for sale and you wouldn't be the first to check out tailwheel on a tiger

Human Factor
7th Nov 2008, 20:08
If you want to fly a taildragger at Waltham, AC will check you out in a Pitts and there is the Super Cub available of course. You'll have to go elsewhere for a Tiger Moth though, unless you can blag one of the private owners.

False Capture
7th Nov 2008, 22:25
If you fancy a bit of open-cockpit flying then why not fly White Waltham's Super Cub with the doors and windows open? The Cub has a much better view of the outside compared to that of the Tiger Moth.

Jerico
8th Nov 2008, 11:23
The Tiger Club does not have any restrictions on tailwheel hours for flying the Tiger Moth solo.
The Club does suggest that people should start on the SuperCub if they have not flown tailwheel aircraft before, as they will find this both easier and cheaper to learn. If someone wants to go straight onto the Tiger then that is OK.
The number of hours required depends on how the pilot handles the aircraft, some pilots with no tailwheel experience take five hours training, others more. Whatever it is a lot of fun!

EGBKFLYER
10th Nov 2008, 15:59
Sibson School of Flying at Peterborough Sibson has a Tiger for solo hire and dual training, with no minimum hours required to fly it. Unfortunately, the aircraft is off-line at the mo due to some work being done on the wings but it should be flying again in the next couple of months.