PDA

View Full Version : Groups around Edinburgh

tuscan
6th Nov 2008, 18:43
Are there any?
There are a few threads about cheap flying, I started one of them and now Im hoping to get some local knowledge about groups specifically in the Edinburgh area.
Im keen to see if I can fly cheaper in a group than my current rental rate of £85/hour for a PA38.
This rate is not local though and I have to go to Inverness for this...a long way but family visits take me there regularly so its not a real issue.
I do however miss some local Midlothian and Borders flying.
Any ideas????:ok:

Steerpike777
6th Nov 2008, 23:52
Hi there,

I have a share in a TB-9 for sale. The aircraft is based at Fife just to the west of Glenrothes. EGPJ is situated ideally for access to the highlands and islands and also to the south.

The aircraft is very nice and flies beautifully. The syndicate is a group of 8 professionals and is very well organised. On- line booking.

If you want to find out more then please phone me anytime on 07989970009
[email protected]

Alex Vesco

tuscan
7th Nov 2008, 07:43
TB9`s tend to be rather expensive to maintain/repair, Im open minded though..... Could you PM me some figures.
I completed my training at Fife and am very familiar with the club and surrounding area. I also know some of the old hands there although I haven`t been around since about April.

Info would be welcomed.:ok:

ps; is it by any chance G-BKUE, the TB9 thats been there for a few years now?
One of my friends had a share in her before buying a C182, also based at Fife.

xrayalpha
11th Nov 2008, 08:57
Hi,

Slum it and fly a C42 microlight at Strathaven.

Rent at £75 an hour wet.

Or buy a share (depreciates at £1,000 a year with guaranteed buy-back) and pay £70 a month for one hour's flying, plus just £35 an hour for every extra hour. Details at Sportflight Scotland - flying lessons, trial flights and gift vouchers in a three-axis microlight aircraft (http://www.sportflightscotland.com)

Rates include everything, except £250 a year or £125 for six months club membership to cover use or runway (ie landing fees) and clubhouse at Strathaven.

Very best,

XA

dont overfil
11th Nov 2008, 09:21
Tuscan
There are several group vacancies advertised on the Scottish Aero Club noticeboard at Perth.

There's a very pretty C152 and a Ximango motor glider operated by groups at Fife.

It's also probably worth popping in to Kirknewton to enquire.

DO.

140KIAS
2nd Dec 2008, 11:14
I was a member of the Fife TB9 group until last year when myself and one of the other members decided to purchase a C182. Only once could I recall having to put my hand in my pocket to fund anything - that was c £100 for a new altimeter. All maintenance including unplanned work was covered by the monthly and hourly rates. Also several shares have exchanged hands since the group was formed so there should be no worries of being stuck if you decide its time to move on.

This was my first experience of group aircraft it was all positive. The best thing about it is the freedom to book the plane for as long as I like (within reason) and go off for a day or weekend. No need to comply with flying school booking slots and minimum hours. I could also turn up and fly in the evenings until 9pm when the flying school have all shut up shop and gone home.

It also generated quite a few lasting friendships and the opportunity to share the flying experiences and costs.

The TB9 is an excellent first aircraft. Its easy to fly and looks great on the apron. Cant imagine why anyone would want to continue flying 152's and PA38's after the little brown book drops through the letter box.

dont overfil
2nd Dec 2008, 12:24
Hi Tuscan,
When I made my recommendation I was thinking about cheap hourly rate but it depends what you want to do. Cost per seat per mile in a PA38 or C152 is pretty high if you are going somewhere. A C182 travels 50% faster and has twice the number of seats.There's two groups operating RGs at Fife.

tuscan
2nd Dec 2008, 13:44
Thanks for the info, I will get the contact details next time Im in past. Im in no hurry at the moment as I still have a load of hours on account to use up elsewhere.

All the locations mentioned are within an hour from my home and will be considered.

Price per hour suits me rather than cost per seat as most of my flying is done either by myself or with one other, this is due to it being midweek when everyones too busy to come and play.
To be honest it will be into next spring now before I am ready to commit to a local group but local cheap rates interest me now.

XA,

I still intend to pay you a visit... last time I was passing through on my way back from the West it was chucking it down and I didn`t think anyone would be there.
Next time maybe................

PH-UKU
16th Dec 2008, 23:41
Don't necessarily discount Glasgow. Good experience for busy airports and R/T awareness. Also 15 minutes closer to Oban and those delicious jammy dodgers.

OK it's a bit pricey for landings (£25 a pop), but they've got a tidy Garmin IFR equipped PA28 (G-BSYZ) and a shiny Millenium C172 (G-IZZS). Eighth share available in the PA28 for about £4000 - last I recall it was £30 per month and £80 per hr wet.

PM me for more details :)

preduk
17th Dec 2008, 00:02
Prestwick flying club have a few aircraft to share, might be worth checking their site out if you're willing to travel there.

tuscan
17th Dec 2008, 13:40
ph,

Glasgows a bit far from Edinburgh centre where I live. Adding the time and cost of travel to the landings etc it works out too expensive. I take your point on the experience of a larger airport, I initially learned to fly out of Aberdeen and the experience was valuable and good for building ones confidence both with RT and class D airspace. Your position for gaining access to the West Coast is enviable, I love flying around the Islands.

preduk,

again Prestwick is just too far, I worked regulary throughout the Autumn at Hunterston and noted that it would take me between 1.5 and 2 hours depending on traffic and that was leaving Ed at 0630hrs, Im guessing longer during the day.

Another enviable location, sorry to hear of the closure of one of your runways.

Thanks for the tips, they are all appreciated.