PDA

View Full Version : ATPL / PPL Renewal

fred737
6th Nov 2008, 14:10
I hold a UK ATPL which expires next February. I retired from professional flying 5 years ago and now fly privately.

I wish to renew my licence but in true CAA fashion I find the CAA application forms confusing so request some help. Pardon me but the questions are a bit mixed up. Note my current ratings are MEP(L), SEP(L) & IR (SPA)

1. My medical certificate is a Class 2 (why renew it annually if I don’t need to), Am I correct in reading it that I need a Class 1 to renew my ATPL. If I enclose my Class 2 certificate will the CAA only issue me with a PPL?

2. Although my ATPL expires in February, as my original PPL was issued in 1966 and has no expiry, do I need to apply for a renewal at all?

3. My ATPL contains a R/T licence and expires in February as well. It is a part of my ATPL. Do I need to complete the application form ( and payment form 1187)for a renewal of that as well?

4. The stated validity of a PPL is 5 years. The stated validity of an ATPL is 10 years. Should I get a Class 1 medical and get the re-issued licence as an ATPL and then revert to having a Class 2 medical?

Many thanks

F

S-Works
6th Nov 2008, 15:49
Do you have your piston class ratings on your ATPL?

fred737
6th Nov 2008, 15:53
Yes. The ATPL is the licence I hold and which expires in February

S-Works
6th Nov 2008, 16:18
Then I am pretty sure you just need to revalidate the ratings. If it is a JAA ATPL then you send off your dosh and thats it.

fred737
6th Nov 2008, 17:20
It is a UK CAA ATPL not JAA ATPL. After I retired I renewed my MEP(L), SEP(L) and IR(SPA) but obviously not my big jet rating. Because I have had a Class 1 medical and do not renew it after 6 months it becomes a Class 2 medical, and although I can't then exercise the priviledges of my ATPL, I can use the licence to fly using PPL priviledges.

S-Works
6th Nov 2008, 17:42
Hmmmm, as far as I can see as a CAA licence you just doing the class rating revalidation. Can't see anything in LASORS that would indicate otherwise.

fred737
6th Nov 2008, 18:03
BX

You misunderstand. All my ratings are valid ( I did them last summer). It is the actual Licence that expires in Feb 2009 :

ix Validity

This licence has to be re-issued not later than xx/02/2009

Stampe
6th Nov 2008, 18:49
Fred if your not worried about continuing to hold an ATPL just carry on with your lifetime PPL.If it was issued in 1966 I guess its a brown "bootlace " cardboard licence.If you take it along to the CAA at Gatwick the CAA will issue you with a new format (but everlasting) Uk PPL and attach any valid ratings to it (IMC,IR etc,etc).Avoid a 5 year validity JAR licence at all costs.They did all this for me a few years back at no cost.Very helpful people once you get hold of the correct department.:ok:

UV
6th Nov 2008, 19:49
Fred
In answer to your questions!
1. Yes, you need a Class 1 Medical to renew your ATPL.
2. I dont know!
3. Unless your old PPL included an RT licence, you would need to transfer it from your ATPL onto any PPL.
4 The renewed ATPL is only valid 5 years now (not 10). They only issue 5 year licences today! You will have to decide whether it is worth renewing your Class 1 Medical....

And yes, once you have renewed an ATPL, you may "downgrade" your Medical back to a Class 2.
UV

BEagle
6th Nov 2008, 20:37
If you were issued with an old-style SA(L) Form 148 PPL (Flying Machine) by the Ministry of Aviation, it will have only had a 5 year validity as stated on the reverse of SAL Form 150 (page 1). It is NOT a 'lifetime' licence.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

For your licence to be re-issued, it needs to have the appropriate Medical Certificate and include an aircraft Class Rating - which it does.

If you have no intention of using your commercial privileges again (and that includes instructing for remuneration), just ask for your licence - with associated Ratings AND an IMC Rating to be re-issued as a JAR-FCL PPL(A). If you are very lucky, you might be able to claim that your old UK ATPL entitles you to a lifetime UK PPL. But the Eurocrats are intending to do away with those in a few years time, unless there are sufficient objections.

If you are able to hold a Class 1 medical, then get your UK ATPL re-issued as this includes embedded IMC privileges, so unless you regularly fly in airways, non-SVFR in Class A CTRs, or IFR abroad, you won't need an IR just to fly IMC in the UK. Neither is there any 'revalidation' requirement for IMC privileges embedded in a UK ATPL or UK CPL - whereas for a UK BCPL or PPL and for any JAR-FCL Pilot Licence, you need a 'real' IMCR which has to be revalidated periodically. Not a problem if you also have a IR(SPA) as the IMC will be valid from the IR revalidation date.

The FRTOL will be automatically re-issued together with whichever licence you decide upon.

Whopity
7th Nov 2008, 18:52
To keep it simple fill in the following form http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1102.pdf make sure you have a current medical, Class 1 to renew a professional and Class 2 to renew a private licence.

You do not need a valid class rating but any you do have will carry over. Thing to remember is that your UK ATPL has built in IMC privileges, wheres downgrading to a PPL will loose those privileges and a 25 monthly test may cost more that the Class 1 medical!

Don't downgrade anythig unless its essential!