PDA

View Full Version : Mooney Temporarily Halts Production

englishal
6th Nov 2008, 11:05
Yet Diamond are still producing........Got to say something....

Mooney Temporarily Halts Production

On the day before the start of AOPA Expo 2008 in San Jose, another manufacturer announced production curtailments. Mooney Airplane Company spokesman Dave Franson told AVweb that production is being scaled down to balance the current inventory of unsold airplanes. The company laid off 229 of its existing 320 employees, virtually all of them on the production floor. "These are temporary adjustments and they only affect our manufacturing operations," Franson told San Antonio Business Journal. "So our (other operations) will continue to operate normally and be staffed at the normal level. There will not be any change to existing or potential customers and we will deliver airplanes as scheduled."

The sudden downturn in the economy is being blamed for the lack of orders and that meant the company didn't give the workers the notice required under Texas law. "These unexpected and unforeseeable conditions are beyond Mooney Airplane Company's control," Gowens said in a letter to the Texas Workforce Commission. "It was impossible for Mooney Airplane Company to predict this sudden collapse in demand at the time when notice would have been required." The factory will start up again when orders justify it, Franson said.

AVwebFlash Complete Issue (http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1246-full.html#199134)

Fuji Abound
6th Nov 2008, 12:06
I am not sure how Diamond are getting on.

They dont have their new engine available yet so presumably they are still selling 40s and 42s with Theilert engine(s)? I wonder what assurances they are giving to anyone buying a new aircraft about replacing the engine(s) when their own becomes available?

I cant imagine Diamond are selling many aircraft at the moment - but I wonder.

Moreover the advantage they had in Europe running their aircraft on Jet has now been significantly eroded.

It would be interesting to know how they are funded and whether they are trading profitably at the moment. If not, how long they can sustain the loss.

sternone
6th Nov 2008, 12:18
Sad for Mooney... I hope they survive.

Diamond has an over-production at this moment. It won't take long before they will kick people out @ Diamond.

The DA42 gets delivered with Thielerts to all those people who has putted deposits down in the last months before the Thielert mess. They will get a 30% discount and full warranty on the new Diamond engine.

Pilot DAR
6th Nov 2008, 13:16
Sad for Mooney staff, I'm sure they'll survive. It' a good airplane with a desrving share of the market.

Diamond will also survive. The DA42 will be the subject of a pleasing introduction at the AOPA show.

Pilot DAR

englishal
6th Nov 2008, 13:47
The new DA42 engine looks pretty good though. 175HP, 190kt cruise, turbo diesel.

I had a look at a new Mooney in the states recently at the Mooney dealer at Long Beach. Nice aeroplane with the G1000. There was an interesting article in the AOPA mag about it too.

I think my mate is giving a presentation on behalf of Diamond at the Expo....:ok: