PDA

View Full Version : CASEY HEATER for B206 BII

It Gets Worse
5th Nov 2008, 16:13
CASEY HEATER for B206 BII
Hi all,

Can anyone help please?

Have lost some parts of the Casey Heater system and need to replace them ideally.

Problem is that we are not sure exactly which parts are missing as we do not have Parts Book or Part No.s list etc. Certainly there is no heater shroud/muff.

Have already been in contact with the STC holder in the U.S.A. to no great satisfaction.

Does anyone have any parts, STC documentation, Parts list/numbers etc for the Casey Heater?

All help greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

It Gets Worse:8

TRC
5th Nov 2008, 17:06
Try Mann Aviation at Fairoaks. They used to be/still are the UK agent for Casey heaters.

P.S. How did you manage to 'lose' the bits?

Aesir
5th Nov 2008, 19:19
I think Northair has some parts for Casey heater laying around. They just renewed the :{Janitrol :mad: and there is no EASA certification available to remowe the Jan:mad::mad:trol:mad::* heater so it will stay in.

Norđurflug - Helicopter Service in Iceland (http://nordurflug.is/)

Call +354 562 2500

Ask for the mechanic Mr Jon Palsson.

It Gets Worse
5th Nov 2008, 21:06
Hello TRC,

Thank you for that lead!

I suspect that there must be many old Casey bits lying around after people have upgraded to bleed systems.
We are hoping to avoid that hassle.:}

Bits became mislaid because the heater is not installed on a machne and was moved between locations. Some items lost in transit during the move! :ugh:

Once again many thanks!!

It gets worse. :8

It Gets Worse
5th Nov 2008, 21:12
Thank you Aesir, for the lead to Iceland. :ok:

I shall contact that chap tomrrow morning along with the chap in the UK that TRC suggested.

Frankly I need to pursue as man leads as it takes!

Once again thank you.

It gets worse. :8

snotcicles
6th Nov 2008, 02:59
Dart also makes the STC'd equivalent of a Casey heater and some parts may be interchangeable. It used to be called a Cam Air heater. Msg me if you need parts, we might have some stuff.

TRC
6th Nov 2008, 07:09
In the early 80s Alan Mann Helicopters - now Mann Aviation (Eng) I think - obtained a UK CAA Modification to remove the Janitrol and install the Casey heater.

Unless I am mistaken (it's been known), EASA member state mods approved prior to EASA's formation are eligible for EASA approval subject to ratification by the state of registration of the aircraft involved.

It Gets Worse
6th Nov 2008, 13:18
Hello Snotcicles,

Thank you for your input.
It is in the melting pot with other leads as we try to come up with a plan.

Cheers

It Gets Worse :8

Keepitup
21st Jan 2014, 12:45
We have a Casey Heater fitted to an AB206 and need it overhauling or exchange, does anyone know who can carry this out or who might have an exchange unit (EASA Release Req'd)

Keepitup

NB Who actually owns Casey Heaters now, are they still going ?????

Lancelot37
21st Jan 2014, 13:09
dirofmtyce posted Jan 2009 - Try Great Slave Helicopters, N.W. Territories Canada. Great Slave Helicopters | Oil & Gas, Mining, Forest Fires, Environmental & Wildlife Surveys, Construction, Charter, Film & Television, Training, Pipelines, Repair (http://www.gsheli.com)

timprice
22nd Jan 2014, 09:05
Your better off fitting a bleed air heater, at least it does not burn as much fuel in flight and is far easier to maintain.:ok:

TRC
23rd Jan 2014, 00:20
...... it does not burn as much fuel in flight and is far easier to maintain

The Casey heater burns no fuel, nor does it use bleed air. It's a very simple idea that uses a muff around the hot end of the engine, and an electric blower.
It can be a bit of a bugger with chafing that can occur on the discharge air tubes of an Allison 250, but far less weight than a Janitrol and no power loss of a bleed air heater.
No idea if new/spare parts are still available though.

timprice
23rd Jan 2014, 10:01
Yes your right I was thinking of the Janitrol.
:ok:

hoistop
23rd Jan 2014, 11:12
FAA STC was issued to Casey Copter Acessories, Montreal oct. 16., 1975 under number SH1018EA Later amended several times. Try Google.
Installation instructions from Casey already contained instructions for removal of Janitrol heater, if previously installed.
Instructions contains list of parts - from Casey and also list of Bell parts required for heater installation.
Also additional requirements for maintenance included. (every 100, 300 and 600FH plus CO indicator replacement.)
Have no idea who owns STC for B206 now, but it seems that some parts of original STC were taken by other vendors, as original STC was for different versions of Jet Ranger and Long Ranger.
Hope this helps a bit.

hoistop

Keepitup
23rd Jan 2014, 12:05
So in short, look around for what scraps there are, if any !

I managed to contact PHP and they have quoted me price for what I am after, so good news on that front.

Thanks All

Keepitup

helicopterray
26th Jan 2014, 19:12
Shroud Airflow Heater System - Heating System - Bell 206A/B/OH-58 - Bell - OEM Sections (http://www.dartaerospace.com/oem-sections/bell/bell-206a-b-oh-58/heating-system/d206-746-011-bell-shroud-airflow-heater-system)

exdesigner
15th Feb 2014, 20:51
Dear TRC and all. You (TRC) are of course correct about AM having the CAA Major Mod approval for the Casey Heater. I was in the D.O. at the time this mod got CAAed and I can still see the drawings now! (in my head anyway). I'm sure Gama have dropped this along with nearly all the other Mods done by the AM Group over the years. This leaves the mod and continued airworthiness matters, including supply of spares and maintenance data unsupported. Unless you can find some old stock of (certified) spares I think this mod is now dead in the water. You might find a DOA that wants to take charge of the mod under EASA but probably more trouble than it is worth.............

206Ranger
3rd Jan 2020, 00:48
Rilpa Ent LTD in Calgary Alberta has taken over supply and support of the Casey heater
If you have any questions please contact:
Kim Mizera
Rilpa Ent LTD
[email protected]