PDA

View Full Version : Plane Crash At Gloucester Airport

turbinetaxi
4th Nov 2008, 17:17
A sirrus aircraft crashed on takeoff from Staverton this afternoon believed to be an engine failiure the aircraft ended up in a field aprox 1500 metres from the end of the runway having just cleared the M5 two people got out and the air ambulance attended

PoloJamie
4th Nov 2008, 17:39
Hmm, not good:

Reported here: BBC NEWS | England | Gloucestershire | Man badly injured in plane crash (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7708962.stm)

TheBP
4th Nov 2008, 21:25
My thoughts and prayers are with them and their families, hoping they both fully recover. I was doing circuits at the time and heard the Mayday call/saw the downed plane :(

Pilotdom
4th Nov 2008, 22:01
1 Pilot ok and one with some back injuries that will take some time to recover from. It was an EFATO. This info is from one of the Pilots on-board whom I know personally.

Creep Feed Grinder
4th Nov 2008, 22:30
Pilotdom,

Long time no speak. Feel a bit worried at the moment. Do I know the pilot too, was the cirrus from your neck of the woods?

Pilotdom
5th Nov 2008, 08:33
CFG,

Long time no speak. I can only speak for the pilot that I know, and he is not from around here. The other person on-board may have been. If you can forward me some details, I can find out for you.

Dom

Windy Militant
5th Nov 2008, 09:53
I hope both on board are OK. Having seen the ITV news last night my first thought was well done, an EFATO handled extremely well. :ok:
However within a few minutes my blood was boiling as the news numpty kept on about how close they were to the M5 and how narrowly a massive catastrophe had been avoided and how much carnage would have occurred if they'd have crashed onto the rush hour traffic on the packed carriage way. The only thing they didn't mention was the convoy of sick children and singing nuns that the pilot manfully avoided. :ugh:

tuscan
5th Nov 2008, 11:52
Windy,

thats journo`s for you. Im sure I`d rather be hit by a Cirrus doing 60-70kts rather than an artic lorry or any other fast moving vehicle on the Mway.

I wish the injured party a speedy recovery:ok:

2close
5th Nov 2008, 13:20
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to those involved.

This seems to have been a bad year for UK GA. Has anyone kept track of the numbers, not out of morbid curiosity but genuine interest?

2close

liam548
5th Nov 2008, 14:23
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to those involved.

This seems to have been a bad year for UK GA. Has anyone kept track of the numbers, not out of morbid curiosity but genuine interest?

2close

i agree, seems to be every other day!

englishal
5th Nov 2008, 14:23
We say that ever year at about this time.....

liam548
5th Nov 2008, 14:59
We say that ever year at about this time.....

why this time in particular? It really does seem to be the last 6 weeks or so.

On a side note on this thread I note the pilot remianed clear of the motorway. In different circumstances would a forced landing on a large road, clear of obstacles be possible and in fact safer than "some" fields?? Just a thought..

Cusco
5th Nov 2008, 16:17
liam458:

If you go to the bright side you will see that the donk stopped at 100ft: Next time you take off look down at 100ft and figure where you would go if your donk stopped. You wouldn't be hunting for quiet side roads that's for sure.

The pilot handled a bad deal with consummate skill.

Journos can go hang.

Cusco

liam548
5th Nov 2008, 16:34
Fair point. I wasnt actually referring to this particular incident, his landing was 10/10 as both are alive, well done to him.

I was just thinking in general terms if the engine failed whilst much higher and maybe in an area where there were no decent open fields. I realise the glide clear rule exists but out of all the fields in this country I would suggest that most are not suitable. This would then make a pilot consider other areas.

Anyway as I said well done to the pilot, nice to hear a good outcome for once!

Liam

will fly for food 06
5th Nov 2008, 17:03
Hope they are ok from a fellow cirrus pilot.

mm_flynn
5th Nov 2008, 17:10
As a general rule in the UK roads are a bad thing. (to land on as well as to drive on sometimes ;) ) They have lots of street furniture to hit, unmarked cables, loads of traffic and are a bit narrow.

Places like the US encourage roads as an option in that they are wide, straight, empty, few light poles/gantries and less signage.

Both comments above totally irrelevant to the case at hand - well done to the pilot!

Papa Charlie
5th Nov 2008, 22:05
Update:

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7711931.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7711931.stm)

AMEandPPL
5th Nov 2008, 22:38
A fantastic video, well done that man ! !

What a change from the numerous tragedies of the last couple of months !

Humaround
6th Nov 2008, 08:29
What a refreshing change to see a news piece avoiding the sensational and reporting what really happened. Well done Adrian and Darren.

Interesting that BBC Points West did the story - Cheltenham actually comes under BBC Midlands, but they only seem interested in stories around Birmingham and Stoke on Trent...

Excellent piece :D

KandiFloss
6th Nov 2008, 09:46
How amazing ... what a good job he did of landing. No matter how much I/we all practice EFATO's I hope that I never experience what must feel like an awful silence.

vanHorck
6th Nov 2008, 11:23
congratulations to the pilot but also the BBC for this well edited and common sense praise of the pilot and the true sequence of events

DavidHoul52
6th Nov 2008, 12:58
Excellent video! I've always wondered what it would be like when it happens for real. Pre-flight briefing material for students doing Lesson 13.2 and a good example for the rest of us.

Saab Dastard
6th Nov 2008, 13:18
It seems most unfortunate (bordering on the unfair!) that one of the occupants sustained such serious injuries considering how well the event was handled.

I just hope I do as well should the need arise.

SD

englishal
6th Nov 2008, 13:42
It is also a testament to the strength of these new composite aircraft designed with safety in mind. I bet the outcombe would have been a lot different had this been your average 30 year old PA28 spam can. Very bad luck the second pilot broke his back, but a good job done by the pilot.

jxk
7th Nov 2008, 08:43
Interesting that the pax should sustain a back injury but not the pilot. Was this a seat belt issue? Await AAIB/NTSB report.

Keith_P
7th Nov 2008, 11:03
Sympathy to the injured pilot but well done to P1. With a fan stop at 100ft to get the a/c down like that and get the Mayday call in is impressive flying.

towndrowmatt
7th Nov 2008, 11:48
My father is the man injured in this incident, and am pleased to let you know he is doing well. A big thank you to all of the comments wishing him well and to the emergency services for doing a wonderfull job. An even bigger thank you to Adrian, for his skill and talent for managing to get the aircraft back on the floor in one piece.

Airbus Girl
7th Nov 2008, 12:31
Welcome to pprune.

I am sure I speak for most pilots on here when I say I wish your father a speedy recovery.

ATCO Fred
8th Nov 2008, 22:30
If you go to the bright side you will see that the donk stopped at 100ft: Next time you take off look down at 100ft and figure where you would go if your donk stopped. You wouldn't be hunting for quiet side roads that's for sure.

Gosh! It was a day for it then - Had a turnback at TK this morning at circa 100ft (or less!) - due rough running engine. Lots of AOB and landed on the grass (not the grass Rwy). Luckily a relatively smooth area of the airfield and after some power checks went on his way 30 minutes later.

2 emergencies in 2 days - I think in the interests of your safety I call in sick tomorrow;)

vanHorck
9th Nov 2008, 07:47
You turned back at 100 ft or you landed ahead!?

Cusco
9th Nov 2008, 07:58
Looking at his name and final comments I'd say he was ATCO on duty when an a/c turned back: I don't read it as him being the pilot.

Cusco

007helicopter
20th Jul 2009, 17:58
AAIB Report

Cirrus SR22, Perspective N770CP 07-09.pdf (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources/Cirrus%20SR22,%20Perspective%20N770CP%2007-09.pdf)

Molesworth 1
20th Jul 2009, 20:42
Is it usual practice to switch off the fuel pump at 150 feet aal? Or should I not be asking?

BackPacker
20th Jul 2009, 21:27
I was thinking the exact same thing. No non-essential configuration changes below 1000 feet is what I was taught, but then again I've never flown a Cirrus. Anyone familiar with Cirrus procedures?

moonym20
20th Jul 2009, 22:28
Don't touch the pump in the climb, ROT: switch it off when cruise power settings are used or power reduced (1000' applies here)

From memory shortly after, Cirrus brought out an SB to replace existing gascolator's with a new design; the old one when used at full power minus electric boost pump allowed the possibility of bubbles to form interrupting the fuel flow..