PDA

View Full Version : Help with weather.

flyvirgin
4th Nov 2008, 16:25
Hi there,
I have just recently passed my PPl and i am planning on doing some cross country solo flights to build some confidence.
Can you give me some idea’s of some decent airfields i can fly to. Im thinking of going from Biggin hill.
One another thing that is playing on my mind is the weather, if i was planning a flight from let’s say Biggin hill to old sarum how would i get the weather for that leg of the flight.
I have registed with the met office (is this the best web site).
I know it probaly sounds stupid but it’s something that is really playing on my mind
Cheers Once again,
Adam

modelman
4th Nov 2008, 16:43
Hi Adam
No such thing as a stupid question.
Registering with the Metoffice is a good idea and speaking personally I find it quite useful for 'on the day' info but not too reliable for forecasting.
The weather is no doubt the greatest thing of interest for the average VFR PPL so you'll do right to treat it with the utmost respect.
Form 215 is very useful to see the general weather pattern for the day and always have a look at the METARS of nearby airfields if your planned destination does not have one.Do the same for your home airfield for your planned return time.
Don't be afraid to ask more experienced pilots their opinion as I am sure you know,pilots are full of them:)
Try to get familiar with conditions that lead to fog as that can really catch you out.
Hopefully,the winter can give some very clear and stable flying conditions that you will be able to take advantage of.
MM

flyvirgin
4th Nov 2008, 16:48
Modelman, Thanks for the info.
I shall be talking to fellow pilots, like you say they are full of opinion's

IO540
4th Nov 2008, 16:51
For a VFR flight from Biggin to Old Sarum, and given there is no serious terrain along the route, I would get the TAFs and (before the actual flight) METARs for airports along the route i.e.

Biggin
Gatwick
Farnborough
Southampton
Boscombe Down

The cloudbases given in these will be above each airport's elevation. One needs a good 1500ft between the cloudbase and the ground for a safe VFR flight.

One also needs a general idea of the conditions for a wider area and the MO form 215 is good for that.

Those are the basics, anyway.

prettygrumman
4th Nov 2008, 17:10
Another thing worth considering is to ring the destination airfield tower, advise them of your estimated time of arrival and also ask about their weather. I do it all the time irrespective of whether its a PPR airport.Most controllers are happy to oblige with
any details.