PDA

View Full Version : flying schools North of London

pronane
3rd Nov 2008, 15:00
Just wondering if people could recommend a school north/north west of london as I live near the m1 so its handy to just get on that quickly and shoot up the motorway. Anyone recommend a good school, I have already looked into(bonus aviation) one and it seems pretty good and resonably priced but just want to see if there are any others(and if this one gets recommended then Ill know its a good one!)

vanHorck
3rd Nov 2008, 18:02
Depends what you re looking for. PPL?

I did my MEP at Bonus and they are a solid outfit! o idea how good they are on PPL but i expect they will be good.
Modern Air at Fowlmere (just east of Royston, near Duxford) don't do PPL but excellent IMC and night ratings

apruneuk
3rd Nov 2008, 18:14
You could try Panshanger if you have your "Bananas" in order. Gotta love Haim!

AC-DC
3rd Nov 2008, 21:01
I would say that Cranfield is a very good option. You will get used to fly from an airfield with proper ATC and proper radio calls, this will give you lots of confidance onceyou fly to other places.

As for schools Bonus has a good name just as Cranfield Aeroclub that is owned by david Coulson who is a great pilot and instructor.

pronane
4th Nov 2008, 09:31
sorry guys ya for my PPL.

Ok cheers guys thanks very much!

denhamflyer
4th Nov 2008, 15:21
how far north are you - have you had a look at Denham - short hop round from M1. The Pilot Centre is the group to talk to. :ok:

pronane
4th Nov 2008, 15:51
im right on the start of the M1 i.e. Cricklewood/Neasden/Dollis Hill all count as my home address :)

flyvirgin
4th Nov 2008, 16:33
You can try this one.
It's near the M4O
British Airways Flying Club (http://www.bafc.co.uk/home.shtml)
Might be worth the travel

Will Hung
5th Nov 2008, 07:38
Cricklewood to Elstree - about 15 mins ?

Have you ruled the Alamo out ? If so, many would understand !!!

Denham's probably your best bet, and not that far, traffic permitting.

trident3A
5th Nov 2008, 08:40
I'm doing my PPL at Firecrest Aviation at Elstree Aerodrome - small friendly club. Obviously there's also Cabair who are a bit more corporate and expensive.

trevs99uk
5th Nov 2008, 18:14
Why not try microlighting.
Theres an airstrip and training school near you at Plaistows. which is off the M25 at J21A.

See:-
Exodus Airsports | Escape to the Sky (http://www.exodusairsports.co.uk)

trevor

Shaggy Sheep Driver
5th Nov 2008, 19:13
Lancashire Aero Club at Barton. That's north west of London.

dmbaker
5th Nov 2008, 22:41
Elstree is the easiest to get to. Cabair are very professional, If you want to go onto Cranfield there are several good schools there. I found Richard Billins vey good.