PDA

View Full Version : Permit Aircraft Share Shoreham/Goodwood

barne_as
2nd Nov 2008, 16:31
Hi all

I am a recently qualified PPL out of Shoreham and am looking now to progress onto a group share of a permit aircraft operating somewhere close to Shoreham / Goodwood.

I would appreciate any info anyone knows on groups available or soon to be formed aswell as anyone who is still in the building phase.

With Thanks

steveking
2nd Nov 2008, 17:46
I fly a permit RV6 from EGML. Not sure what/who's about near Shoreham. Have you joined the LAA yet, they should be able to direct you. Have you thought what type of aircraft you want. The RVUK website has a great forum. The permit flying is freat fun, I have a 200mph machine that can get into small strips and I can give it all the TLC myself, I have a friend currently half way through a 75% P51 Mustang. If your even slightly interested in the engineering side of it you can't beat it. The LAA should be able to give you cantact details of your local strutt. They'll be able to tell you what's going on in your area.

All the best
Steve

barne_as
2nd Nov 2008, 20:20
Hi

I have joined the LAA but am having some problems in locating a strutt near shoreham.

Have you found that more permit aircraft are flown out of private / farm strips rather than licensed airfields, like shoreham and goodwood?

Jodelman
2nd Nov 2008, 20:58
Struts and their contact details can be found here (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/struts/strutListing.html)

steveking
2nd Nov 2008, 21:23
I suppose on the whole C of A types tend to lean toward bigger airfields and LAA types tend to lean toward smaller airfields but there are plenty of exceptions.

Damyns Hall where i'm based has about 20 LAA/microlight types and about 5 C of A types.

SlipSlider
3rd Nov 2008, 10:38
barne-as you have a pm

Slip

barne_as
5th Nov 2008, 09:22
What kind of costs are involved in a permit aircraft including maintenance and storage and has anyone got a permit aircraft with removable wings that can be taken home / stored in a garage. Is this a viable option or just a gimmick from the makers?

steveking
5th Nov 2008, 20:45
Removing wings hmm. My brothers C42 can take the wings off but it does need 2 of you and about 15mins a side. It was my aircraft before my brother had it off me. When I picked it up the manufacturer insisted on showing us how to take the wings off. That was the last time I done it. It was all a bit of an effort for me but I suppose you could get in the swing of it if you really wanted to.

As for costs it all depends on your aircraft but assuming nothing breaks then insurance for a 45K aircraft is about £1100. Hangerage can vary a lot I have friends at farm strips who pay £50 per month but I pay £200 per month in a nice new hanger. The plus is I don't pay any landing fees. I have owned an ikarus C42 and an RV6 and maintenance is coming in at about £500 per year. Although I did just have to put a new transponder in it as the old one went US which was another £1600. I do own my RV6 with a friend so all our costs are split in half which helps.

You can make it really cheap if you go for a very basic type. You really need to decide what you want to fly. There are a wide range of aircraft on a permit with quite a wide range of costs.