PDA

View Full Version : MOD (Lost Personal Info) --admits it--Compensation?

OKOC
31st Oct 2008, 16:12
I got my letter yesterday from MOD admitting that my personal details were amongst the ones that have been lost. Question is--is there a case for compensation?

SRENNAPS
31st Oct 2008, 17:09
I assume that if you were to receive any compensation you would donate it to something worthy such as Help for Heroes.

Tell you what, if the MOD were to have to compensate for this then they could direct the money to where it is really needed; cut out the middle man. On your agreement of course?

Sloppy Link
31st Oct 2008, 17:18
Ahh, the compensation culture, don't you just love it. Tell you what, when you can prove you have been disadvantaged and not just had your feelings hurt by this fiasco then you may have a case to answer, until such times let the MoD spend their time and dosh on more important things like boots, bombs and bullets and of course upgrading accommodation etc etc etc.

OKOC
31st Oct 2008, 19:56
And why should I donate my potential compensation to anyone or any cause, Oh, because Messrs b and c demand that it be so--and why should I be already pre-judged and on what grounds? Did I say I was going to keep it? I don't believe I did so wind your necks in.

cazatou
31st Oct 2008, 20:13
AIDU

Why should OKOC disclose to a cartographers assistant information which could lead to further losses?

cazatou
31st Oct 2008, 20:35
AIDU

I see that you are into the denigration and slander mode that lead you to leave a previous thread.

The original question was quite valid; you may wish to consider how much information you would have included in your post if you were liable to fraud due to data loss.

cazatou
31st Oct 2008, 20:45
AIDU

Re Slander

Suggest you read your post No 9 again.

"as a money grabbing pikey he is trying to enhance his meagre pension."

cazatou
31st Oct 2008, 21:01
AIDU

You did not say you judged or believed him to be " a money grabbing pikey" - you stated it as a fact. You made an absolute statement - not a qualified one.

Time for the ignore button again.

Bye - Bye

:=:=:=

SRENNAPS
31st Oct 2008, 21:55
OKOC

Did I say I was going to keep it? I don't believe I did

You gave no impression that you would not keep it.

And why should I donate my potential compensation to anyone or any cause

Because there are a lot more people out there suffering a greater loss than you could ever imagine.

--and why should I be already pre-judged and on what grounds?

Beacuse you started this thread:ugh::ugh::ugh:

JessTheDog
1st Nov 2008, 11:03
From what I understand from looking at the issue, the first data loss (RN laptop) led to an investigation and enforcement notice against the MoD by the Information Commissioner, who ruled that 2 of the data protection principles (3rd and 7th principles) had been broken and that Article 8 of ECHR had been unlawfully interfered with.

My belief is that MoD is wide open on the issue. And that's only for breach #1. I've been the victim of 3 breaches, most recent communication is from the Army Recruitment and Training Division - and I joined the chuffing Air Force!!!!

Sorry for those who take a dim view of the compensation culture, but I believe the only way MoD will ever take appropriate measures (with regard to this, or other far more serious issues) is through litigation. I, for one, would give any cash to a Service charity.

cornish-stormrider
1st Nov 2008, 11:55
Me, as I am a money grabbing b4st4rd, were it me I would donate.....Hmmm.

30% to RBL, 30% to H4H, 30% to RNLI and yes dammit I would keep 10%!!

And to anyone who thinks the RNLI don't go out and fight I say to you they fight against the biggest, meanest and nastiest enemy there is - The Sea.

Enough of this cr4p, I'm off to buy that there morpheus rising tune . Oh and where is the best rememberance sunday service near Plymouth?? My local church don't give it enough Oomph.

Beatriz Fontana
1st Nov 2008, 14:41
cornish-stormrider,

where is the best rememberance sunday service near Plymouth

Speak to your local RBL branch and ask them, my luvver. Believe me, nothing beats sitting alongside the old boys with the full RBL regalia. I will be joining my local branch on the Sunday, and all being well will be at the Cenotaph on Whitehall on the 11th.

airborne_artist
1st Nov 2008, 14:45
While you might get an ex-gratia payment, to get an award through a court you'd have to show a personal loss/cost as a direct result (on the balance of probabilities) of the loss of your data. Simply saying you might have been compromised is not enough.