PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 150 to Piper 28 Transition

Jumbo744
30th Oct 2008, 23:31
Hello,

I will be doing my PPL flight test tomorrow and want to start right away the night rating flying. I have done half my PPL in a Diamond Eclipse DA20-C1, then went on the Cessna 150. I also had 4 flights on the C172. I would like to start flying the Piper PA28 Warrior because it looks like a nice plane. But I have been across this website and I find the transition to be a little bit complicated:

handling notes on the Piper Pa28 (http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/fxd_wing/piperpa28.htm)

The guy says:

In a Piper accident the pilot and his flying will cause about 83% of the accidents. Pipers tend to give pilots more trouble in IFR conditions and at night. Five times as much trouble as in other aircraft. I personally feel that the cockpit lighting of the Piper is much inferior to that of the Cessna. Supplemental lighting is very necessary. A Piper pilot who makes it past the 100-hour mark greatly improves his survivability. Get AOPA "Piper PA-28 Safety Review which includes all PA-28 articles since 1981. 1-800 638-3101.

--Pilot error causes 8`% of Cherokee accident and 71% of Arrow accidents.
--Continued VFR into IFR conditions was most common related cause.
--Arrows have 50% more night accidents as similar aircraft.
--Fixed gear landing accidents were most common due to long landings.
--Arrow landing accidents were related to hard impact--

Could you give me some details about the transition and how is it flying that plane?

Thanks! :ok:

what next
31st Oct 2008, 00:07
Hello!

Rarely have I read as much nonsense as in the text you have quoted :eek:

When I remember correcty, my transition from C152 via C172 to the PA28 took 0:45 and 0:25 hours respectively. There really is not much difference. The PA28 is a bit less directionally stable than the Cessnas, but you only notice this in light turbulence, and it tends to float a little more on landing due to the low wing. Get your landing speed right and everything will be fine!

The transition? Your instructor will guide you around the aeroplane for the preflight inspection and point out the main differences (pitot-static tube position, drain valves, the all-flying elevator and suchlikes). Then you will do some airwork like slow flight, stalls and steep turns. You will find that it needs a lot more pulling force on the yoke during steep turns than the C150 because of its greater mass and speed. The stalls are as gentle and the more powerful engine allows stall recovery with very little height loss. Some variants of the Arrow are said to stall more violently than the Archers and "normal" Arrows, but the difference is not really big. Then you will do some traffic pattern work including landings with different flap settings. You may find the vision over the cowling and wing a little restricted at the pitch angle associated to flaring with full flap (40 degrees) compared to the C150.

But if I had to chose between the C172 and the PA28, I would go for the Cessna. Manly because of the better visibility, especially for the back-seat passengers. And because it is more quiet inside.

Have fun!
Max

julian_storey
31st Oct 2008, 00:10
There is so much rubbish written on this forum about the vast differences between a Piper and Cessna that it almost beggars belief. :rolleyes:

The PA28 was designed as a training aircraft. It is nice and easy to fly and the transition from the Cessna should be absolutely no problem for you.

Your instructor will point out the important differences like for example the way the flaps and the fuel system work.

Enjoy the new experience! :D

Jumbo744
31st Oct 2008, 00:14
thank you very much for your posts guys!

If I don't like the PA28, I'll go back to C150 or 172. I want to have a little bit of experience in as many airplanes as possible. The good thing about the PA28 at my school is that almost nobody flies it (i don't know why), so I will be able to take it and fly as much as I want.

Thanks a lot :ok:

what next
31st Oct 2008, 09:21
Good morning!

If I don't like the PA28...

Don't worry, you will like it :) My first flight ever was a pleasure flight in the Alps in a Cherokee (the ticket was a present from my grandfather when I was 11 or 12) which infected me with this flying virus. Pa28s can't be that bad after all...

The good thing about the PA28 at my school is that almost nobody flies it (i don't know why), so I will be able to take it and fly as much as I want.

It was exactly the same in the flying school where I instructed before. A fleet of Cessnas with one Piper and nobody ever got near to that. My present school is the other way round: All Pipers with one C172 - and guess what? The 172 has square tyres from standing in the corner of the hangar. People don't seem to chose the "better" aeroplane, they just follow the tribe...

Greetings, Max

Whopity
31st Oct 2008, 09:29
Having converted many pilots from the Cessna to the PA28 there is really only one significant difference, the PA28 series has a stabilator which remains effective to low speeds so you do not need as much aft elevator on landing. The slab wing PA28s also pitch down when you apply flap, wheras the taper wing varients pitch up. A bit of general handling and a few landings is all thats required. As you've flown the DA20 as well, you should find the transition straightforward. Reading the quote above implies that the PA28 is actually a very safe aeroplane!

polohippo
31st Oct 2008, 11:02
I'd personally stick with the Cessna, yes the Piper looks better and more like a real aeroplane but for everyday cruising around (VFR) the 172 beats it hands down. And normally the Cessna is a little bit cheaper too! And for burning holes in the sky the 150 is the best ever!

Just have a go in the Piper and see what you think!

Jumbo744
31st Oct 2008, 13:27
thanks for all the information :)