PDA

View Full Version : Y or Z flight plan in the USA

crjlover
28th Oct 2008, 19:32
Hi,
Im heading to USA for some flying. I now How to fill the flight plan when the flight is all IFR or all VFR, but how do you fill Y or Z flight plans in the USA?

SNS3Guppy
28th Oct 2008, 22:18
Never heard of a Y or Z flight plan in the USA. You can file a domestic flight plan, or now you have the option of filing a standard ICAO flight plan.

Make it simple. Register for free on fltplan.com, and file there.

mm_flynn
29th Oct 2008, 14:45
Hi,
Im heading to USA for some flying. I now How to fill the flight plan when the flight is all IFR or all VFR, but how do you fill Y or Z flight plans in the USA?

Why would you want to ? There is no Eurocontrol computer to reject your route and if you need to change the controllers handle it on the fly quite well.

malc4d
29th Oct 2008, 21:32
I would suggest an hour with a FAA instructor going over charts and plates.....:cool:

englishal
29th Oct 2008, 21:44
I just phone them and tell them I am "IFR" or "VFR".......???

Airbus Girl
29th Oct 2008, 22:22
call 1-800-WX-BRIEF and give them your flight plan - either IFR or VFR.

englishal
30th Oct 2008, 08:50
Which I answered in my reply..
Yes you did. I just wondered why anyone would want to?

Why don't you just file IFR all the way to the destination then just cancel IFR when you deam it nescessary to become VFR?...That is what I do anyway. Or file IFR to VFR on top.......

I can't see an advantage in a composite flight plan. I don't file VFR flight plans if I'm getting Flight Following in the USA, and if the weather becomes IFR and I want to switch, I file on the RT (i.e. "Request IFR to KABC")....

I guess if there is no one to speak to, then I can see a point but that then goes back to my first point....