PDA

View Full Version : flight school in USA for JAA PPL

eddiec
28th Oct 2008, 19:21
Hi all
Can anybody recommend a 'good' flight school for completion of my jaa ppl in the states? I have 22 hrs and five exams done but I have to do a skills test before the end of April otherwise my exams expire. I last flew 21 months ago! what is the weather like for flying in the states around Feb/Mar?
Any input , be it good or bad is appreciated

BackPacker
28th Oct 2008, 21:06
Start here:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/278995-guide-obtaining-jaa-ppl-us-part-1-a.html

If you have any further questions, go ahead.

Oh, and "the states" is actually half a continent plus some odd bits and pieces elsewhere. It kinda depends a little where you go, what's the weather is going to be like. Sort of. A bit. I guess Hawaii would be great in Feb/Mar, Alaska would not.

beatnik
28th Oct 2008, 22:40
Not all your 5 exams expire at once -only those written more than 18 months ago (but you probably know that). So I'm guessing the first to go would be Air Law. Considering you're (roughly) halfway in terms of hours, you may find it cheaper to rewrite Air Law etc than to fly all the way to the States, getting your M1 visa, finding a JAA FTO that will take you on for only part of your PPL & finding accomodation.

Also with the exchange rate is in the 1.50's at the moment, a huge part of the saving is now lost.

Just my opinion, and I presume you're over the most expensive part of your PPL (circuit bashing) - so use the crisp winter air to your best advantage.

BackPacker
29th Oct 2008, 09:07
Eddiec, I now see you're from Ireland. Did you do the exams from the UK or from the Irish CAA?

The flight schools in the US all operate under the supervision of the UK CAA, and use the UK CAA exams, so most likely any Irish exams you have already taken are worthless over there - unless there is an agreement between the Irish and UK CAA about mutual recognition of exams that I don't know about.

Keygrip
29th Oct 2008, 11:19
I had a personal conversation with the IAA eralier this month.

The IAA exams are worthless for PPL training at the Florida flight schools.

BackPacker
29th Oct 2008, 11:31
However with the exchange rate as it is now you may as well stay in the UK/Eire!

FWIW, there is a flight school in Iceland, and Iceland is a JAA member state so your Icelandic PPL is valid throughout Europe: Flugskóli Íslands (http://www.flugskoli.is/ENGLISH/)

You'll probably need to do the ground exams in Icelandic, but the exchange rate is fantastic right now. Just don't pay upfront...:ugh:

eddiec
31st Oct 2008, 22:47
Thanks for all the input lads, much appreciated

Silent Witness
2nd Nov 2008, 07:20
Dont go to Ormond Beach. Just dont.