PDA

View Full Version : Pooley's 09 or UK VFR 09 flight guide?

fire-fox
27th Oct 2008, 19:37
so im looking for my first flight guide as i will start flight training soon or just after xmas, and would like to no your preference or fortes on past version.

julian_storey
27th Oct 2008, 19:47
They both tell you pretty much the same stuff.

I use a Pooley's for my VFR flights - but for no better reason than that I always have.

tuscan
27th Oct 2008, 20:00
I prefer Pooleys but thats probably because Ive used them for years but only got my first UKVFR last year free with a mag subscription.

Im not sure if UK comes looseleaf but I find that feature handy as I can just take out the relevant pages and put them in my A5 kneeboard pockets.

When it comes to updating I will go for the pooleys, old habits die hard.

You can get old ones for pennies on Ebay, why not gey one of each and decide for yourself.

Genghis the Engineer
27th Oct 2008, 20:19
They're pretty much as good as each other.

Personally, I tend to use Pooleys because I'm more used to it, and also the pages are slightly smaller and fit in my kneeboard better.

G

julian_storey
27th Oct 2008, 20:54
Alternatively, you can get most UK airfield info from here . . .

NATS | AIS - Home (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=13.html)

. . . and it's FREE!

sammypilot
27th Oct 2008, 20:56
I have used the AFE version for the last few years, particularly the looseleaf format ,which enables me to take the required pages out of the guide and put them on my kneeboard. Their monthly updates and occasional replacement of pages which have considerable changes is also useful.

flybymike
28th Oct 2008, 01:02
I buy Pooleys one year and then AFE the following year. That way you halve the cost and always have one which is bang up to date and another which is the next best thing!

soay
28th Oct 2008, 18:14
Since AFE went colour, I've preferred that to Pooleys. Their spiral bound edition is easier to handle, although manual updates are a bit of a pain with that format.

Shunter
28th Oct 2008, 18:53
I'm changing to Bottlang this year. I've always had a loose-leaf Pooleys, however I'm sick to death of having to buy a new loose-leaf pack every year when all I want is an update subscription to my perfectly good already-purchased guide!!

fire-fox
28th Oct 2008, 19:42
think ill go with tuscan's advice UK VFR loose leaf for 09 and poolye's in 2k10 to see the differance.

chrisbl
28th Oct 2008, 21:42
Save your money until you have got your licence.