PDA

View Full Version : Solutions to getting flying ?

igarratt
25th Oct 2008, 09:14
Do you just fly part time or have you done a full time training program ?

I keep seeing there is a vanishing number of students and schools are having to cut back having to many instructors with the down turn but I am still finding trying to get training like trying to stop the tide coming in !.

Anyone else having the same problems or found any schools that cater for intense full time training ?

Ok some of it is weather but I'm in between jobs at the moment and want to get my IMC and night rating before i have to go back to the grind.
I book multiple slots per week and available on stand by all the rest.:ugh:
Started my IMC over 3 months ago now but not even half way in yet.

If it's not weather its instructor, or plane or flying school, on to my second school, 4th Instructor.

I went over to Jerez to finish my PPL for the same reason starting to look like I'm going to have to do the same again http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif
Instructors I seem to find turn there noses up at going abroad to finish or do ppl training but tbo it was near the same price as uk, but I got good weather for 30 days solid and an guarantee that I can fly 2 or 3 times a day. No big gaps where you forget what you did 2 weeks ago.

Ian

Johnm
25th Oct 2008, 11:39
Whereabouts in the UK are you? It's not a problem in the South as far as I'm aware

Nibbler
25th Oct 2008, 14:47
Bournemouth Flying Club can offer a full program of training for the Night and the IMC ratings. Currently we have 4 instructors qualified to teach at this level with access to examiners as required.

foxmoth
25th Oct 2008, 19:26
A PPL I can understand, but an IMC rating should not be quite as restrictive, yes there are bits such as UP recovery where you do need GOOD vis, but a lot it is actually easier to do in proper conditions. :confused:

Airbus Girl
25th Oct 2008, 20:57
Don't worry about those who turn their noses up at people who learnt abroad - most of the time its instructors who have only flown in the UK.
I learnt abroad and did all my initial ratings abroad (USA) then converted in minimum time and now fly airliners....I wouldn't worry about what people say....I would go do an intensive course abroad and with the money you save you could spend an hour or two doing a UK familiarisation if you so desire. (NB: for the disbelievers, I did private multi then later the FAA single IR, both in absolute minimum hours and then converted those 2 to a CAA multi IR in around 10 hours (including test) even though I'd never done any IR stuff in a twin before or any UK IR or IMC flying.)