PDA

View Full Version : Whose responsible for aircraft insurance?

BigEndBob
22nd Oct 2008, 20:36
Is it the owner as shown on the G-INFO site or can someone else insure on behalf of the recorded owner?
What document can show the actual legal owner of an aircraft?

Pilot DAR
22nd Oct 2008, 20:50
The pilot is responsible to assure that a plane is insured before flying it.

A certificate of registration shows the registered owner.

If you do not have access to the C of R, you cannot fly the plane.

There are insurance policies and conditions under which non-owned aircraft are insured, but these require qualified explanation by an insurance broker.

Pilot DAR

xrayalpha
24th Oct 2008, 01:22
My partner is the registered owner of G-MWXA.

She does not have a pilot's licence.

I am an instructor, and have insurance which covers me for any BMAA/LAA microlight.

As my partner's instructor, my insurance was sufficient for aircraft registration purposes. (of course, you can register it in your name with no insurance if you declare that it is not going to be flown)

Obviously, she cannot fly G-MWXA solo until she gets 3rd party insurance.

This situation is not uncommon in the microlight world where a student may buy a microlight before going solo.

Very best,

XA

ps. As to "who owns" the aircraft, it is just like a car. There is no record! (the aircraft reg document specifically states it is not proof of ownership, just like a motor vehicle V5. Yet the letter from the CAA when it finds you the owner of new plane says new owners must register! As it does for cars!
I think the reason is all due to hire-purchase and other finance deals.

gasax
24th Oct 2008, 10:58
The CAA phraselogy is the 'aircraft operator'. Usefully it then does not define what an aircraft operator is, but obviously this can be different to the owner!

Mariner9
24th Oct 2008, 11:10
From an insurance perspective, the insurer has to be deemed to have a commercial interest in the item insured. That may or may not be through a third party, but the intention must be that the payout will be used to compensate the party that suffered the financial loss.

For instance, you could not insure someone else's aircraft who you know or suspect to be a likely candidate for an accident in the hope that you'll profit from his/her demise :ok: