PDA

View Full Version : Question about funding my ATPL training!

Emkay
22nd Oct 2008, 15:57
Getting straight to the point, I don't have £52,000 and nor do my parents. But what I do have is the desire, grades, the ambition and endless motivation to pursue a career in the Airline Transport industry.

How would I go about funding any ATPL training I get? I am specifically interested in the course by Oxford Aviation and also some of the integreated ATPL courses offered by Cabair and their association with Bucks New Uni and Kingston also.

Can I get some sort of loan which I can pay back after I get a job? Because currently there is absolutely no way for me to fund everything right now, and I don't think my parents would want to dish out 52k either.

Help?

fadedfootpaths
22nd Oct 2008, 16:02
ah dear!! Now isnt the right time. Just wait, and do something useful which will help you get a better paying job in the future. If you are actually very much passionate about your flying then just get a PPL and stop right there.

Good luck:ok:

Emkay
22nd Oct 2008, 16:03
I understand what you mean. I'm still only in year 12 so the earliest I would be attending any training or uni is 2010, would the situation improve by then?

And thanks for the good luck :)

Aerospace101
22nd Oct 2008, 16:33
In that case just do lots of saving. Dont bother with a PPL if youre gona go straight to an Integrated course. Burning cash.

Re-Heat
22nd Oct 2008, 16:37
Hello

Read the reference threads in detail first, then come back and ask some questions - your answers are all contained within those reference threads.

Best of luck

Whirlygig
22nd Oct 2008, 19:42
At the risk of another integrated v modular debate, I would say that integrated is just burning cash and PPL (followed by all the other exams and ratings) is the way to go especially in this economic climate.

Cheers

Whirls

G SXTY
23rd Oct 2008, 08:21
Believe it or not, money isn't the most important thing in this game - determination and timing are much more important.

Get a job, preferably one with flexible hours or shifts. Use the job to fund a part time PPL. (£6,000 ish)

Carry on working, study for the ATPL theory exams in your spare time. (£3,000 ish)

Carry on working, buy a share in something cheap, go abroad or buy some block hours from your local club. Build to 150 hours total time. (£7,000 ish)

You are now two or three years down the road. Have a very good look at the job market. If it's still bad, keep the day job & keep shovelling money in the bank. There is no point in qualifying as a commercial pilot if there are no jobs at the time. If the market is improving (and in three years time I certainly hope it will) then look at jacking in the job and going full time training for the CPL / IR & MCC. You can do these part time, but I wouldn't recommend it. (£30,000 ish)

You are now a qualified commercial pilot and have spent approximately £46,000 in the process, spread over as many years as your budget and the job market dictate. Best of all, you won't have a loan of £75k to repay.

I followed exactly that route - it took around 6 years (although I could have done it quicker - thank 9/11 and a divorce) and I only had to borrow money for the last stage. Total debt around £25,000. Got an airline job within 3 months of qualifying becuase I qualified at the peak of the job market and made sure I was lucky with my timing.

The quoted costs are pretty accurate, and the £30k for the CPL/IR/MCC includes living costs when away from home, as well as budgeting for a restest and extra training.

If you use a day job to fund as much of the training as possible, and accept it will take a little longer than flashing your chequebook at Oxford or FTE, commercial training is more affordable than you think.

Just remember - timing is everything.