PDA

View Full Version : SET Rating- TBM Specific.

silverknapper
21st Oct 2008, 21:30
Hi

I am interested in the rules and regs surrounding the SET rating, specifically concerning the TBM 700/850.
Having read Lasors, my understanding is:
1. If the pilot is an ATPL holder they may go straight to a course on that specific aircraft, and upon meeting all the JAR FCL requirements have their licence endorsed.
2. If the pilot is a PPL holder, they must first of all complete a High Performance Aircraft (HPA) course. Then they may procede as an ATPL holder would, obviously subject to the restrictions a PPL will place on their flying.

Would anyone have further knowledge on this, or indeed am I ill informed? These are the only two licences we are dealing with. And at the moment assume the aircraft is on the UK register, JAA ATPL's and UK PPL.
If this is the case does anyone know where if at all this HPA theoretical course can be taken?

Cheers

SK

welkyboy
21st Oct 2008, 21:53
I did the HPA Exam with BCFT at Bournemouth, correspondence course and exam on premises. ph 01202 599888.

S-Works
22nd Oct 2008, 07:55
BCFT are just about the only people that do it as far as I am aware. A PPL/CPL will need HPA. An ATPL/fATPL will already have covered the theory content.

The HPA is exam only no flight training.

After that, yes you are quite correct the PPL/CPL can just be type as normal. Getting the type rating is a case of finding a school that has both TRI and TRE. My first TR had to be done in Germany with a test in the UK.

Current two in Hungary!

silverknapper
22nd Oct 2008, 17:17
Thanks for that. You don't recall the details of the German place do you? Socata won't do a rating on anyone without an IR.

S-Works
22nd Oct 2008, 17:33
I am afraid you are going to come across that pretty much wherever you go.

Generally speaking aircraft that require a type rating are in the high performance category and something like a TBM 7-800 series comes into that category. Holding an IR does a couple of things, first demonstrates the capability to undertake advanced learning and second the ability to actually use the aircraft in the full flight envelope.

A VFR PPL in an aircraft designed for high altitude performance is not much use and I can understand where Socata are coming from to be honest.

The company is Air Espace and they are located in Lausanne but they require an IR as well.

englishal
22nd Oct 2008, 17:39
Just get an FAA ticket and an N reg TBM850 then you don't have to worry about all that boll*cks.

S-Works
22nd Oct 2008, 17:43
Just get an FAA ticket and an N reg TBM850 then you don't have to worry about all that boll*cks.

FAA Fanboy. ;)

Still does not resolved the fact that a TBM, VFR around Europe is as much use as a chocolate tea pot.....

julian_storey
22nd Oct 2008, 17:58
Plus I'm guessing that the insurance company might also insist on an IR.

A TBM is a hugely capable aeroplane. Without an IR, it's kind of a waste.

On the 'N' reg, there is no requirement for a type rating (covered by FAA ASEL class rating) - but again, the insurance company might insist on you doing an approved course.

silverknapper
23rd Oct 2008, 14:31
Cheersall replies much appreciated.
Point taken on the IR, and 90% of the time it will be flown by IR holders. Just every now and again one guy involved in it, experienced (2000hr, 1000 mep) PPL IMC would like to take it around a few islands up here. Guess that could be an issue.

Thanks again