PDA

View Full Version : Logging of Flight Time

+TSRA
20th Oct 2008, 20:51
Hi All,I am wondering if anyone knows the actual legal requirements for logging of flight time as an ACP or Training Captain in a 705 OP.I am trying to create a program for our company that will automatically calculate flight times for our guys.I want to make sure that if the ACP is occupying a jump seat, that they are entitled to log that as flight time (or not as the case may be).I have tried reading through the CARs but cannot find a drop dead, "here is the answer to the question' anywhere. I've also looked through the ACP Manual to no avail.This question could also extend to Captains or FO's occupying the jump seat during any Line Indoctrination.Im pretty sure the answer would be no they are not entitled to log it as flight time, but just wanted the thoughts of anyone with a little more experience.

justcurious
21st Oct 2008, 14:52
As an ACP or TRE, we are not occupying a flight crew position, and thus do not count the time as flight time.

Since I am within a whisker of hitting 25,000 hours this month, I am finding this minor-ly annoying.

On the other hand, I am not getting $250 an hour in a flight crew seat, so, best not to whine I suppose.

+TSRA
22nd Oct 2008, 14:18
Thats what I though, thanks for the confirmation.

Another question has now popped up in the office which is an extension of my last question, and that deals with "Swampers". I know that for 704 and 705 the answer is no; but for 702 or 703 operations, could the swamper log the time in their book AND be credited with the time towards the issuance of a licence or rating (assuming the aircraft in question does not require a type rating for both Captain and FO).

I again have said no, but the argument in the office (which is being researched through the CARs) is that you could log the time as "Dual" rather than Co-Pilot - in essence the same thing that would happen during initial training on type.

Thoughts?

justcurious
22nd Oct 2008, 17:28
TC will give a max of 5 hours of dual by type,to count towards the ATPL. If they hap[en to catch it. They won't readily accept it for dedicated aircraft type training. And... noticing that licence applicants are logging significant amounts of time while not PPc'ed may trigger an audit to determine whether any time that might have been logged was logged with passengers on board.

Looking at from their perspective, an hour in the front seat flying from Big Trout Lake to Pickle Lake in a Hawker for straight and level may prove to be a learning experience in small small respect, but not to the same extent that an hour of approaches and emergencies after a groundschool would offer.

+TSRA
22nd Oct 2008, 23:56
Perfect....thank you very much!