PDA

View Full Version : Weather in England & Wales

CaptainTC
20th Oct 2008, 10:09
Hey, isnt the weather in England & Wales annoying? I have had to cancel my lessons down at Welshpool for three weeks in a row now due to the bad weather. Now i see why people go to the USA to learn lol.

Anybody here had to cancel their lessons longer than three weeks, due to the bad weather?

PompeyPaul
20th Oct 2008, 12:19
Longest I've had to go without flying was 6 weeks. That was earlier this year, during the "height" of summer late July, through August into October.

Funny thing was last year the rubbish weather was due to low pressures arriving thanks to a lower than usual gulf stream. No idea why we had low pressure over us so much this year, but it was frustrating.

captain_flynn
20th Oct 2008, 14:38
When I did training for the PPL in Cornwall I was always frustrated by weather. Now im at Cranfield and the weather doesnt seem to hit there as badly as Perranporth in Cornwall. Welcome to flying in the UK.:rolleyes:

18greens
20th Oct 2008, 14:58
Flying gets scrubbed in the US as well. Florida is particularly rainy and windy at times. I've heard of people going out for an intensive 4 week course and only getting 1 weeks flying in due to the weather.

Stick with it, you will be fine in good old Blighty.

Arenigltd
20th Oct 2008, 15:17
The weather at Welshpool is uniquely trying. Wind and rain roll in off the Welsh hills, and when the sunshines, the river valley hangs on to its fog and/or haze whilst all around is in sunshine. But you'll get there in the end and you'll be well used to dealing with some interesting flying conditions (particularly the approach to 04) by the time you're done. None of which you would necessarily get flying in flat calm sunshine in Florida.

Fright Level
20th Oct 2008, 17:25
last year the rubbish weather was due to low pressures arriving thanks to a lower than usual gulf stream

Actually caused by the absence of a strong Azores High not a "lower than usual gulf stream". The gulf stream is in fact an incorrect term used for the North Atlantic Drift which is the part that keeps the UK warm compared to other countries at our latitude.

The water still keeps the UK warm but weak Azores high pressure areas allowed normal Atlantic depressions to route over the UK rather than passing north of the country throughout the summer.

robin
20th Oct 2008, 20:44
... he probably means the jet stream, not Gulf Stream....