PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Aviation Industry Outlook ?

AviatorSteve
18th Oct 2008, 15:23
Well I've been in university for the last 4 years and have finally graduated (BSc, Biology). Now that I have my degree, which of course is completely unrelated to aviation, I plan on pursuing my dreams of becoming an airline pilot.

I was wondering what some of your general opinions are about becoming a pilot with the current state the Aviation industry in Canada is in, or worldwide for that matter.

Essentially I am asking ... Is it a good time to become a pilot in Canada? Overseas? Why or Why not?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Panama Jack
18th Oct 2008, 16:45
Any recession is a good time to train or be in school. I remember being in university for 4 years and during that time, things looked dismal and I sometimes asked myself why I was studying the field I was.

However, by the time I was looking for work, the industry was robust again and allowed me considerable career progression before the next down-turn.

Timing your career is a little like timing the markets.

Carrier
18th Oct 2008, 20:00
Some years ago a pilot job seekers' book named "The Big Blue Book" or something similar mentioned that in Canada about 85% of pilot jobs are blue collar. Only 15% are white collar, which includes both airlines and corporate. Why would you want to restrict yourself to such a small part of the professional pilot job market? Are you aware of the benefits and the drawbacks of being an "airline" pilot as against all of those other pilot jobs? Are you aware of what it takes to obtain a job as an "airline" pilot in Canada?
It is not an easy path and as PJ mentioned timing and luck play a big part. Also, it is very much a "who you know" progress.

barry60
20th Oct 2008, 00:09
Go for it.

I started my career at a low point in hiring early 90's. When I first flew tp most left seaters had at least 8000 hours. All of the pilots I worked with from those days are at AC, WJ, KFC, Sky, Cargo jet, Sunwing or over seas. No one is blue collar. Find out if it is a lifestyle you would like before you jump. Good luck.
ps. That old "who you know" is so much BS. How can you not know people after working in an industry. Simply keep in touch with old workmates.

richardhead
24th Oct 2008, 16:00
If you want to become a pilot then become a pilot. Simple.

Those out there who say STAY AWAY!! know damn well you canīt. Neither could they. The places you may see, people you meet both near and far, the sunrises the sunsets etc. May sound a little corny, but itīs the truth.

PosClimb
28th Oct 2008, 03:56
Timing is everything.

Repeat after me:

Timing is everything.

The global aviation industry is going into a downturn along with most other industries. It'll last a while, maybe several years.. At the first whiff of an upturn cycle, blow through your flight training as fast as you can so you can finish on an up cycle.

Repeat after me again:

Timing is everything.

Mr Lover
28th Oct 2008, 11:20
timing is everything...timing is everything...timing is everything....timing is everything..timing is everything...timing is everything...timing is everything...timing is everything...timing is everything...timing is everything...timing is everything...timing is everything...ZZZZZzzzzzzz

PosClimb
28th Oct 2008, 15:00
Hahaha, you're a good student Mr. Lover!

A+ for you!

Time it right, have a bit of luck, and maybe, just maybe, you can be a pile-it.

highalti2d
9th Nov 2008, 21:16
I came to realize that my dream was to become a pilot, not necessarily an airline pilot. So, when I get to the job that provides me with the QoL that I'm looking for, airline or not, that will be where I'll hang my hat. Previous posters were correct, there's a lot more out there than just the airlines.

I've been working for a few years as a pilot and am still asked by my friends whether I'd like to become a Commercial pilot.... usually I grit my teeth, and explain what that means in the aviation world.

Johnny767
9th Nov 2008, 22:22
If you choose to get involved in Aviation, as a Professional Pilot.

You had better do it, for the love of Flying.

Not strictly to become an Airline Pilot.

Or, you could be setting yourself up for a disappointment.

It is o/k to aspire to the Big Airlines, but, don't make that the only requirement.

zorx
16th Nov 2008, 23:26
It is not really the best of career choices. There are just as many if not more would advise against it. Its 99% boredom and 1% shear terror.

richardhead
17th Nov 2008, 20:20
Don't listen to any of us. If it something you want to do. Then go after it with every ounce of your being. Nuff said. Good Luck.