PDA

View Full Version : Go on have a go

peterprobe
14th Oct 2008, 13:29
Any of you in the know peeps out there know what the story is on letting a mate have a go on the controls, this comes from a pub debate of course with a PPL holder a CPL H holder and me a **** all holder (military fixed wing). Cheers:ok:

the dean
14th Oct 2008, 14:08
pete....there was a big debate on this subject some time back. i can't recall which forum it was in....i would say it was this one or the PPL section. . might be worth a search..

there was a lot of hooha about it at the time with views mixed between..' i always let people have a go...thats how we all learned ...'etc etc...

to...

unless you have an instructors ticket you cannot relinquish the control of the aircraft to anyone else...

its complicated a bit by the legislation and also what you allow the person to do. if you let someone hold the controls while you are handling them then is that giving control to someone...i doubt it . but if you take your hands and feet off the controls , then presumably you have to say something as without giving some advice or instruction as to how to control the aircraft and what the effects of the controls is, then you will both be upside down very shortly. that is giving ( in the strict sense ) flight instruction...which you cannot do unles you have a flight instructors ticket....

all very well till something happens and the truth comes out and then there is no insurance.....

but there are many different views...as you will soon see :eek:...but do a search...

gear up.....

bucket_and_spade
14th Oct 2008, 14:21
There's no doubt swathes of legal info about it exist but I really can't see the problem with a PPL holder letting a non-flyer briefly handle the controls.

I'd probably spout out a little about what does what (if they weren't familiar), warn them that the controls will probably be more sensitive than they expect (I was surprised!) and tell them that if at any point I say "I have control." they'll need to release both hands and move their feet away from the pedals.

Obviously you'd also do it at a safe altitude.

No drama, no big deal!

18greens
14th Oct 2008, 21:31
No-one know what goes on in the air. There are no cameras. But if there is an accident there may be questions. At the end of the day you are the aircraft commander.

Instructors brief students on Follow through, you have control, I have control.

At 5000' there's little they can do you can't recover from if you are in practice. The biggest issue is students locking on the controls and leaving their feet on the brakes on landing. Another issue is being too heavy handed and over G'ing the airframe. Apart from that , if you feel lucky go for it.

FlyingForFun
14th Oct 2008, 21:37
There's no doubt swathes of legal info about it exist On the contrary, to the best of my knowledge there is no legal info about it at all.

I don't know why there is so much debate. There is no rule, anywhere in the ANO or anywhere else, which prohibits it, therefore it is 100% legal. Of course I'm quite happy to admit that I'm wrong if someone can point me to the relevant legislation.

However, what you need to be very clear on is that you're still PIC, and therefore you have the absolute responsibility for the safety of the flight, whether you are at the controls or not. If you allow someone else to take control, you must ensure that the flight continues to be conducted safely - and that means checking he doesn't turn the aircraft upside-down, take you into controlled airspace, collide with another aircraft or the terrain, etc, etc, etc.

FFF
-----------------

Lister Noble
15th Oct 2008, 08:21
When I was learning and even before that, I flew with an experienced pilot in a Chipmunk and a Tiger Moth,in both craft the pilot and passenger sit behind each other,tandem style.
He would let me have control over straight flight and turns and follow through on take off and landings.
It was a great help in building my confidence and handling skills.
I think the main issue is making sure that they let go of all controls immediatley it is required.
Explain what the controls do,and why the pilot must have control ASAP when needed.
I would be very wary of doing this in a tandem aircraft unless I knew the person really well.
Lister:)

Jumbo Driver
17th Oct 2008, 21:18
I think the position can be summarised as follows:

1) There is nothing in law that prevents an unlicenced person handling the controls of an aircraft, provided
2) the aircraft is always under the command of a suitably licenced person, who
3) is always legally responsible for the safe operation of that aircraft, however
4) the insurance situation may well be different from the above, and
5) if it is a commercial operation, the AOC Holder's Orders to Flight Crew will almost certainly preclude it.

JD
:)

Say again s l o w l y
17th Oct 2008, 22:54
Letting someone "have a go" whilst up at altitude isn't really a problem. I'm not a fan of it unless the PPL is an experienced one with a good right hook and comfortable in unusual attitudes, but where do you draw the line?

I've never seen it written down anywhere.

However, I have heard people allowing a mate to fly it down to the ground and even let them attempt a landing. That sort of psuedo FI'ing I find utterly unnacceptable and I bo**cked the offending PPL in no uncertain terms. (He was very inexperienced himself.)
I was very surprised that his mate did as well as he did though, especially given the standard of his "teacher"!!