PDA

View Full Version : First solo!

AdamC
12th Oct 2008, 18:44
Just done my first solo today at Humberside (EGNJ) and I just have to say it's the most breathtaking, exhilarating and most exciting thing I've ever done in my life!

My very first time in the circuit, infact, and my very first time at landing came just 40 minutes before my first solo. The weather was right, calm winds, 10km vis and really nice autumn day!

So my instructor climbed out, I checked my DI, temps and pressures and quickly gave the ATIS a listen just to see if there was any change - No, everythings still perfect. My mouth began to get dry, I reach over to the PTT and transmit "Solo 05, southern apron, first solo, request taxi" - A few seconds later, a response comes "Solo 05, hello again follow the C152 taxi hold bravo" - Of course, I repeat.

Once I approach the hold, I hang back a good 7-8 meters from the C152 ahead, ATC kindly asks the aircraft to move over as he would like me to get out first before commercial traffic is inbound. The pilot responded "Well I can move about another 5ft forward" so the very very helpful ATCO said "CALLSIGN move to the left, there is a PA28 behind you to pass your number 2 for departure" reluctantly the pilot moved and I was given a line up clearance.. My heart really started to pound now, I performed my pre-takeoff checks.. Checked the DI and called ready for departure and sneakily asked for a left hand circuit which was approved :)

"Solo 05, runway 21 cleared for takeoff, surface winds 220/05 knots, left hand circuit" - Ooo, it's really happening.. "Cleared takeoff 21, solo 05" - Full power is applied and registered, T's and P's are fine, airspeed just passed 40 and increasing nicely.. 60 knots, I start to rotate, I feel how different the aircraft is with just 1POB. 300ft, T's and P's still fine, flaps would come up if I had any. 500ft, gently start the left turn onto crosswind, still climbing gently to the circuit height of 1000ft. 1000ft comes, I turn downwind, once established on a heading of 030 and I was happy I made the downwind call to tower - I was told to continue on downwind and he'll call me when it's ok to turn base.. Ok, so I plod along nicely doing my checks as we go along, I complete my checks and expect a call any second. Then I hear a A321 inbound a R22 helicopter just departing from runway 03, makes sense to me now.. About 4 miles from the threshold I was finally told to turn base and report final, with me being number 1. :)

I started the turn onto base, then onto final still at 1000ft because of the range. Once "established" if you like, carb heat went out, power to 1500rpm and 2 stage of flap. Nicely setup, 2 red 2 white on the PAPI which is always a good sign. Reported final, given a landing clearance - A few minor adjustments with the power for height, then my heart really started to pound when I realised there is no instructor to takeover if I mess up - Soon, the nerves where forgotten as I passed the perimeter fence, dropped all the power and made a fantastic landing right on top of the numbers! - "Solo 05, congratulations on your first solo Captain, backtrack and vacate Alpha" "Thanks a lot :D Backtrack and vacate A, solo 05".

Backtracked, parked on the apron and met my instructor.

Needless to say, I've had a smile on my face since this happened at 13:30L time and I doubt the smile will be going for a long whileeeeee.

markp123
12th Oct 2008, 18:50
congratulations mate....only ever one first solo and dare say u'll remember it for years to come! A hell of a lot more solo flying ahead of ya....so just enjoy every minute of it.

Are you being serious when you say you only did 40 minutes practise in the circuits before you were let solo?? If so, i think your instructor is playing with death and if he lets all his students loose after 40 mins...it'll just be a matter of time before an accident happens!

Sorry, just had to throw that in.....it aint your fault. how many hours did you do before you solo??

Well done again mate,
Mark.

AdamC
12th Oct 2008, 18:57
Are you being serious when you say you only did 40 minutes practise in the circuits before you were let solo?? If so, i think your instructor is playing with death and if he lets all his students loose after 40 mins...it'll just be a matter of time before an accident happens!

Sorry, just had to throw that in.....it aint your fault. how many hours did you do before you solo??

I'll remember every detail for the rest of my life, it was such an amazing experience.

Yep, 40 minutes in the circut, 5 circuits to be exact. I'd done 12 hours before, I knew I was ready for it - I could do the circuits both left and right hand just perfect! - I wouldn't have agreed if I wasn't 100% confident I could do it. I'm the only student he's let go solo after a short space of time in the circuit - But I do learn very fast, not to sound big headed.

Megaton
12th Oct 2008, 19:02
Congratulations and well done!

I did my first solo at the same airfield with the same school and now fly the Airbus at Heathrow. It's pretty amazing where that first solo might eventually take you :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

markp123
12th Oct 2008, 19:06
oh..thought u meant you'd only done 40 minutes of circuits...ever. apologies :ok:
yea...i did my first solo beginning of this year...and my skills test about 6 weeks ago. Dare say you'll be bookin you test before you know it!

AdamC
12th Oct 2008, 19:16
Congratulations and well done!

I did my first solo at the same airfield with the same school and now fly the Airbus at Heathrow. It's pretty amazing where that first solo might eventually take you

:cool: Hopefully I'll end up the same as you then, thats what I'm hoping for anyway :p

oh..thought u meant you'd only done 40 minutes of circuits...ever. apologies http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
yea...i did my first solo beginning of this year...and my skills test about 6 weeks ago. Dare say you'll be bookin you test before you know it!

Thats because that is what I meant, I'd done 12 hours flying, but only 40 minutes in the circuit :) - As I said, I was ready for it.

:p When I get a licence, the sky will never be a safe place.. So my parents keep saying??

Megaton
12th Oct 2008, 19:30
Seem to remember I had to extend downwind for commercial traffic. Seemed like an awful long way from the runway :-) I don't think any of the original aircraft are still there but I still have fond memories of the those PA-28s.

In fact, I would happily swap my Heathrow-Athens daytrip for a couple of hours of steep turns, PFL, stalling and circuits!

AdamC
12th Oct 2008, 19:34
Seem to remember I had to extend downwind for commercial traffic. Seemed like an awful long way from the runway :-) I don't think any of the original aircraft are still there but I still have fond memories of the those PA-28s.It really doesn't it - Especially when you turn base and you can only just make the runway out and they say it's 10km or more? Then you realise your just being silly and the runway is perfectly visable :sad:

I'm still in a high from the flight, I'm so excitable!

In fact, I would happily swap my Heathrow-Athens daytrip for a couple of hours of steep turns, PFL, stalling and circuits!

I'd love to swap, but I guess a Airbus is a little more complicated than a PA28 :eek:

Megaton
12th Oct 2008, 19:44
Both obey the laws of aerodynamics. You just need to start the flare a bit higher in a 'Bus! :ok:

AdamC
12th Oct 2008, 19:51
:ok: - On second thoughts, them call outs would confuse me - I'll pass!

BRL
12th Oct 2008, 20:05
Well done. Nice write up too. :)

PlasticPilot
12th Oct 2008, 20:14
Congrats !

What did you sing on downwind ?

foxmoth
12th Oct 2008, 20:29
Well done and congratulations.
As far as
Are you being serious when you say you only did 40 minutes practise in the circuits before you were let solo?? If so, i think your instructor is playing with death

This is something only the instructor can judge, there are some I would have sent at this stage, and at less than 12 hours total, others that will take a lot longer, all depends on currency and ability.

AdamC
12th Oct 2008, 20:40
Thanks alot everyone, :)

I didn't sing anything on downwind, but the song "I want to break free" was in my head during taxi for departure, haha.

DavidHoul52
12th Oct 2008, 21:28
Well done! It's a great day and tremendous boost to your confidence - I know it was for me.

Does seem unusual to only start circuits after 12 hours. Is there a restriction on circuits at your airfield perhaps due to commercial traffic? Obviously whatever your instructor did with you previously prepared you well for it anyway. Also when the tide is right one needs to take the opportunity - you can wait weeks for the right weather.

AdamC
12th Oct 2008, 22:32
:) It certainly is a tremendous boost to my confidence, I'm really confident in myself now, not too over confident mind.

Weather has been an issue with getting in the circuit, plus commercial traffic does play a part in the circuit being inactive for a good part of the morning - But never the less, everything we'd been doing previous to the circuit all came into place and everything seemed, well natural? - Thats exactly what my instructor said, he said it was not his intention to send me solo today but as I'd excelled and exceeded his expectations, I was landing perfectly and my circuits where fine that it would have been a shame to wait for another day which might not have the right conditions for another month or so.

JohnRayner
13th Oct 2008, 09:07
Congratulations! I wonder if everyone gets a dry mouth before first solo? That's certainly the only time I've really ever noticed it!

13 hours is pretty good, nay excellent going, you should be proud :ok:

Downwind (after checks of course) I had David Lee Roth's "Just Like Paradise" knocking around in my head. Go figure.

Getting out of the circuit on your own is fun. Did my first solo cross country last week. Amaaaaaaazing!

JR

madgav
13th Oct 2008, 10:04
Congratulations mate :ok:

Less than 2 weeks away from the first anniversary of my 1st solo, it's a fantastic feeling & the big smile lasts for.......... actually I'm still smiling just thinking about it :):):)

Gav
www.madgav.org (http://www.madgav.org/)

low n' slow
13th Oct 2008, 10:15
Congrats!

You'll remember it for a long time.

/LnS

WALSue
13th Oct 2008, 22:19
Congrats!

Solo after 12 hours sounds impressive. I'm on 20 (ish!) but think I'm nearing solo time (eeek!) I put it down to my old age ;)

AdamC
14th Oct 2008, 00:06
Thanks again everyone! :)

I've been lying to you all, just checked the logbook and I'd actually done 11 hours before going solo, my actual total time is 11h 25m. 15m of which are P1!

The flight keeps replaying over and over in my head, the feeling of being a pilot is better than I thought! :}

Chuck Ellsworth
14th Oct 2008, 00:31
Congradulations.

I can still remember my first solo as clear as if it was yesterday and it was 55 years ago.

Your first solo is right up there with your first piece of tail and maybe even easier to remember. :E

liam548
14th Oct 2008, 01:29
Excellent, well done. I think my first solo is coming up soon. Had 2 and half hours on circuits or so at Sherburn, although I know I wont be waiting for any A320s there! ;)

You did not have much practice at circuits then did you, how did you manage to cover emergencies etc in just 40 mins!! ;)

Might see you around on one of my cross country legs to Humberside.

AdamC
14th Oct 2008, 09:33
I can still remember my first solo as clear as if it was yesterday and it was 55 years ago.

My instructor said that I'll remember it for the rest of my life, every single detail of it.. Temperature, what everybody said etc :)

Excellent, well done. I think my first solo is coming up soon. Had 2 and half hours on circuits or so at Sherburn, although I know I wont be waiting for any A320s there!

:E - You'll have so much fun, my smile still has not gone yet!

You did not have much practice at circuits then did you, how did you manage to cover emergencies etc in just 40 mins!! http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Ah, on a not so good day a few lessons back we practiced go arounds and engine faliure on takeoff using the local reservoir as a runway. Performed a go around on Sunday prior to going solo for a valid reason - student pilots taking too long to backtrack :=

BodleyTunes
14th Oct 2008, 13:12
Congratulations!! :D

I also just flew my first solo on Sunday (12th oct) at Barton Aerodrome, I still can't get my head round it yet! Been showing off telling my friends and people at work :).

For the record I also have 12 hours to my name, but I think I started doing the circuit around hour 10? so I have had about 3 hours of circuit practice including right and left hands, also the last thing we did before he suddenly let me go solo was do EFATO's.

I'm not as young as you though, I'm 28!! So an old man in comparison.

The feeling coming in on final over the M60 all on my own was lovely. :)

Happy flying! :O

Jon.

DavidHoul52
14th Oct 2008, 13:28
Walsue

I wouldn't put yourself down. The timing depends on all sorts of things - the weather, how your instructor does things etc. I went solo at 16 hours but it was 3 months before I went on my second!

It was on my first cross country solo when I first realised the fabulous freedom one has as a pilot. I thought I was at my turning point but then realised that it was a different town. But no matter, I can have a good look at it and then breeze over to find the correct one!

AdamC
14th Oct 2008, 14:04
:ok:

What happens now then, more solo circuits for me? Or do I carry on doing dual circuits? :}

JohnRayner
14th Oct 2008, 14:50
Absolutely! I dried away the tears (sic) when I knew I wasn't going to go out on my own in 20 hours or less. Doesn't matter!

(question to the forum, is there any correlation between time of first solo and subsequent quality as a pilot? Can't find anything to say there is)

Adam, as above, circuit bashing when the conditions permit, interspersed with training for cross country. Which is a blast!

Where do they take you cross country from Humberside? I've flown into there from Netherthorpe where I'm training. Any likelihood you'll end up there?

JR

AdamC
14th Oct 2008, 14:53
Thanks G-EMMA.

Personally, I really don't think it matters when you go solo.. 8 hours or 40 hours, it's when the time is right for you and your instructor thinks so too - Of course. Either way, there is a hell of alot of dual flying that has to be done so your still working towards your PPL/NPPL by flying with an instructor, improving your flying all the time!

I'm looking forward to doing some more solo flying, it's nice when you've not got an instructor next to you (not that I don't enjoy flying with him)! :)

Adam, as above, circuit bashing when the conditions permit, interspersed with training for cross country. Which is a blast!

Where do they take you cross country from Humberside? I've flown into there from Netherthorpe where I'm training. Any likelihood you'll end up there?

:D - All the training of the actual handling of the aircraft comes into practice from now onwards then?

I have no idea where you go on your X country, I'll ask though. I'd imagine somewhere like Full Sutton, Gamston or as you say Netherthorpe.

AMEandPPL
14th Oct 2008, 14:54
I can still remember my first solo as clear as if it was yesterday and it was 55 years ago

That makes me feel younger ! My first solo was ONLY 28 years ago !

As everyone has said, every detail is remembered. Mine took me by surprise, because it was very poor hazy visibility that day. I remember thinking as I drove to the airfield that we'd be OK to fly, but that my instructor would probably not send me solo . . . . . . but he did ! On the downwind leg I was really struggling to keep the runway in sight !

alvin-sfc
15th Oct 2008, 19:01
Congratulations Adam C on your first solo,you will never forget it. Mine was Dec.29th 1977 at Tollerton in a Chipmunk and I can still remember every detail.Wind was smack down the RW,(28)(now 27) and it ended with one small bounce on landing.When I got home I told my Dad that I had flown my first solo,thinking he would be almost as ecstatic as me and all he said was,"Oh yeah? Well done, whats for tea"? (To my mum):ugh::ok:
ce la vie.

DavidHoul52
15th Oct 2008, 20:58
What happens now then, more solo circuits for me? Or do I carry on doing dual circuits?

Dual circuits mate! Lots and lots of them. You'll wonder why until you realise that the bar is being raised every lesson.

Sometimes you wish you hadn't gone solo - cos' you want to do it all the time and you start to resent that person in the right hand seat and wonder what you've done wrong not to let you do more solo time!

In the end I told myself I wasn't going to learn much on my own - so that's why the instructor was still there! Plenty time for solo once you have your PPL!

(In fact you have to do 10 hours solo before that - usually there's a bit of that outstanding after your cross country - quite nice as you can basically do what you like in that time).

DavidHoul52
15th Oct 2008, 21:04
is there any correlation between time of first solo and subsequent quality as a pilot?

I suspect it's akin to how long it took to learn to ride a bicycle to how good a cyclist you are after a few years. (i.e. zero correlation)

Not that going solo soon is not an achievement in itself - it's just that all (well most!) of us get there in the end anyway. Going solo at 60 hours is not unheard of (you would have to admire the persistence of someone like that)

WALSue
16th Oct 2008, 06:54
usual routine is nail three and off you go
Nailed 6 on the run last lesson!

JEM60
16th Oct 2008, 08:05
I soloed at Booker after a mere 4 and a half hours!!!. I had done some ATC gliding some 17 years previous. I have to say that it came completely out of the blue, and, because it was so sudden, although I felt reasonably confident and competent, I cannot say that I enjoyed it overly much!!, although the shock of being on my own had disappeared by the time I had joined finals [always loved approaches!!]. This is NO WAY a critiscism of my instructor,ex Vulcan man Kevin Dearman, who was brilliant, and who perhaps had more faith in me than I did!! Be wary, young man, of getting overconfident. I worry about people who say that their circuits are always perfect and their confidence is 100%. I once admitted to my instructor that flying slightly scared me, and he replied 'Good. Because you will therefore treat it with the respect it deserves'. Excellent advice!!!
Best of luck, I started powered at 33 years old, and therefore it was merely a hobby. I hope your career is long. Regards, John [slightly jealous]

JohnRayner
16th Oct 2008, 08:30
My instructor calls it "the right stuff" A healthy regard for the risks, while still having fun.

Of course, I think I had a bit too much regard to the risks, and not enough regard for the fun, which I think is why I took an age to get out of the circuit!

But like the man (sadly deceased) with the 'tache, in the band, with the man with the hair, said..

"Don't stop me now..."

percyprune
16th Oct 2008, 09:14
:ok::ok::ok:

Well done. I wish I could do it (them) all again, 1st solo fixed wing 6.5 hrs June 1982, 1st solo glider August 1989 and 1st solo helicopter 6.1 hrs August 1991 :O

Enjoy the moment and savour it ;) It is a special moment and after 8000 hours I can only say that if I could turn the clock back and repeat anything that I have previously done in my career it would be my first solos!

Nothing can beat that memory of sitting there, on my own, touching the empty seat beside me and smiling from ear to ear, then savouring the first landing when you return to earth, marvelous :):):)

And then to follow it with your first solo start, taxiing out feeling rather proud of ones self and opening the throttle, lifting off and realising that this is what it is all about :ok:

To all of you about to solo, keep your heads, enjoy the days and fly safe

PP

madgav
16th Oct 2008, 09:17
I went solo at 16 hours but it was 3 months before I went on my second!

I went solo at 18 hours and it was over 7 months before I went on my second, boy was that :mad: frustrating.
Sorry character building :rolleyes:

Keep at it WALSue, it'll get there. I think everyone has their fair share of problems/frustrations, it just takes a bit (a lot?) of stickability :ok:

PS Congratulations BodleyTunes :ok:

batninth
16th Oct 2008, 18:56
Congratulations to you both, Adam & Bodley.

If you solo around this time of year, then you can get the weather delaying your next solo but don't worry about it. It becomes something that binds a group of students together, "I soloed xx weeks/months ago but not since...", when you sit in the warmth of the clubhouse, drinking tea & watching the windsock getting blown off it's mount by the wind.

I went solo at 18 hours and it was over 7 months before I went on my second, boy was that http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/censored.gif frustrating.
Sorry character building :rolleyes:

Actually, I found the dual instruction time in the not so good weather very useful and by the time I came to build solo hours, I was much more used to it. My first solo, in November, was on a still day, but my second solo was in gusty winds the following February. I was a bit surprised when the instructor jumped out & said "You'll be ok in this" but it didn't fase me as I had spent time handling different conditions.

Just enjoy any time you get in the air!

madgav
17th Oct 2008, 09:39
Actually, I found the dual instruction time in the not so good weather very useful and by the time I came to build solo hours, I was much more used to it. My first solo, in November, was on a still day, but my second solo was in gusty winds the following February. I was a bit surprised when the instructor jumped out & said "You'll be ok in this" but it didn't fase me as I had spent time handling different conditions.

Just enjoy any time you get in the air!

Agreed! Of course it's so much easier to see that afterwards :D