PDA

View Full Version : A320 Technical Question

Nordic airline pilot
9th Oct 2008, 19:50
Hello I have a technical question on the A320. I would be very grathful if anybody can answer the question.

If on approach and the pilot reduce speed and select Flaps 3 (Targetspeed will then be F-speed). Then suddenly, for instance, ATC ask the pilot to keep speed up. If the pilot then goes back to Flaps 2, WHICH SPEED WILL THE AIRCRAFT THEN MAINTAIN (Manage speed selected)? What will happen regarding modes etc.

//NAP

TyroPicard
9th Oct 2008, 20:38
The managed Speed target in CONF 2 is F speed, the same as CONF 3.
To maintain a different speed the pilot uses selected speed mode.

Nordic airline pilot
9th Oct 2008, 20:49
Ok, but if you go back from conf 3 to conf 2, will there be any difference in target speed (Lets say tou fly managed).

What discrepancy will you see on the PFD, speed, vls etc.

flying finn
9th Oct 2008, 22:18
None - the aircraft will fly 'F' speed in both cases (assuming Vapp is less than F speed and not affected by GS mini).

The only things that will change on the PFD are:

(i) the barbers pole (VFE) will go from 185 kts (Flap 3) to 200kts (Flap 2)
when the Flap lever is moved, and

(ii) as the surfaces retract to the Conf 2 position, Vls will change a bit.

aguadalte
10th Oct 2008, 19:17
Normally ATC will ask you to fly a certain speed and the only way to fly it is Selected Speed.:ok:

St. Ex
13th Oct 2008, 00:37
The managed Speed target in CONF 2 is F speed, the same as CONF 3.
To maintain a different speed the pilot uses selected speed mode.

The managed speed target is actually Vapp as shown by the magenta triangle or magenta number on the botom of the speed tape in managed speed, assuming the approach phase is activated (I'm assuming it is because you would normally select CONF 3 after L/G DOWN and you would normally select L/G DOWN only after approach phase activated). However, the FAC limits the speed to F speed and the aircraft will only slow down to the actual Vapp when in landing configuration (normally CONF FULL or CONF 3).

Greenlights
10th Dec 2012, 08:19
hey,

I don't open a new thread since it concerns A320 too.

I have a question about coming back to airfield.

Let's say :

Airport departure : AAAA
airport arrival : BBBB
first way point A
next B
etc

Ok, we prepare the FPLN in MCDU and let's say the SEC FLPN is just copy active. (no immediate return).

we take off from AAAA, climb, passing A, and then going to B (next wpt).

suddenly a failure happens, and we hold at B...

We figure out the failure, and need to come back to AAAA. We are still holding at B.

How to prepare it ? I don't fly yet and don't remember....

Can we from B, set NEW destination ? I tried on Flight simulator, seems we can not ! But not sure as it's a "game".

Or do we need to take the TO WPT, so, C, and then NEW DESTINATION.

seems it works, but the problem is : if we do that, we don't want to fly to C

well if someone can tell me the proper way to prepare a come back (without any secondary flight plan), that would be great.

Thank you for your help !

GL

FourTrails
10th Dec 2012, 08:51
As you suggest from B you should be able to line select it and choose new destination. Enter AAAA, insert it and then select whichever approach you wish to fly and insert that. Then modify routing back towards IAF or whichever you choose.

Would suggest that in your secondary you have the engine out procedure with approach back to departure airport thereby enabling a quick return at any time.

GuilhasXXI
10th Dec 2012, 08:58
I reckon about 170-180KT, it shoudn´t be too far from that if you select Flaps 2

Fly3
10th Dec 2012, 09:21
You can left line select from any waypoint in the flight plan (but not pseudo waypoints and not the destination) to access the page to change the destination.