PDA

View Full Version : Do you see any difference btw ''aborted'' and ''rejected'' takeoff?

airman13
7th Oct 2008, 07:43
thank you for any opinion

boredcounter
7th Oct 2008, 07:57
Nope, not in my book, but I prefer rejected.

JB007
7th Oct 2008, 09:34
Nope, me neither! Pre-merger, we used to say "Stop"...we now say "Reject"...all has the same effect...

airman13
7th Oct 2008, 12:01
jb007, agree with you, in cockpit, the call is ''stop'', but what do you say to twr, aborted or rejected, 'cause someone told me if you stop by twr request is aborted, and by your own is rejected, is it true?

bucket_and_spade
7th Oct 2008, 12:38
I'd say "<insert callsign here> stopping." when either acknowledging an ATC call to stop or stopping off our own backs.

Semantics - it's all the same thing!

no sig
7th Oct 2008, 16:28
The word 'Stop' and 'Stopping' as defined in CAP413 should be used. For example, once an aircraft has commenced the roll ATC will use the phraseology, 'bigjet 345 stop immediately, I say again stop immediately acknowledge'. Therefore, as Bucket and Spade say's, if you're rejecting the take, use the terminology 'bigjet 345 stopping'.

The change however from the use of Aborted to Rejected Take Off came about a good number of years ago; and I stand to be corrected here- but if I remember it was driven by Boeing who adopted RTO rather than aborted and has since been adopted by the industry. Came about around the same time we changed from 'overshooting' to 'Going Around'.

Spitoon
7th Oct 2008, 16:41
From a controller's perspective I wouldn't make a distinction between the two terms. FWIW, I tend to hear the procedure referred to as a rejected T/O when it's done for crew training and as an aborted T/O when it happens for real - but not exclusively in either case.

As no sig points out, the phraseology to be used on RTF (in the UK anyway) is set out in CAP 413.

Maude Charlee
10th Oct 2008, 12:42
Use whatever words you can spell when writing up the ASR and Tech Log. :}