PDA

View Full Version : FI interview

mason
6th Oct 2008, 14:36
Hi I have an interview or meeting for my first FI Job .
I was wondering could anybody shed any light on what
questions might be asked?Thanks in advance

A Very Civil Pilot
6th Oct 2008, 18:18
It can range from: if you can turn up on time and open the door - you've got the job, to: 15 min talk about yourself and background in aviation, answer a few technical questions about the aircraft and principles of flight, give a pre-flight brief to an exercise, and then demonstrate the exercise in the air.

If you can aim to redo your FIC test, then you can't to do too much wrong.

A Very Civil Pilot
7th Oct 2008, 09:04
To add, I've has one FI job offer and one airline offer over the years based on the 1st interview, other FI jobs based on the 2nd! Essentially it's a function of supply and demand on the day. Good luck.

SkyCamMK
7th Oct 2008, 20:14
If I were taking your interview I would want to know how you will fit in with our routine. You will be hardworking have achieved some things outside of your chosen field of employment and you will be eager to learn the ropes as it is likely to be much harder work than you might expect. Are you 1 of several or the only interviewee, are you flexible for hours and days off. Can you command respect from your students who may be much older than you. Can you save enough to further your quals or is it a stepping stone only? Can you take after hours ground school? Will you still be here in 12 months time?

Be yourself, confident, knowledgeable and friendly. You will be fine...

VFE
9th Oct 2008, 13:30
It all depends on how desperate they are really - I have presented myself looking like a sack of crap at one school who couldn't wait to offer me the job and arrived looking the dogs tadgers at another, fully prepared and eager, and been slowly wound through the grinder by a sadistic CFI (who subsequently offered me the job) so if anything I have gleened that there's no set method for aquiring an FI job! Best way is to appear open, friendly and relaxed. Don't go for the high wire pretending you're the most knowledgable pilot ever because it's all about people skills in this game... think 'sympathetic chaplain' as a demeanor, not 'flying wizzard'. I seriously wouldn't worry about challenging technical questions. Oh, and even if you are not, show real interest in instructing as a viable career option and not just a stepping stone and that will help your cause.

G'luck!

VFE.

B2N2
12th Oct 2008, 11:37
Some of my favorites:

* Describe to me your idea of a perfect student and why.

I am not looking for the ..." learns really quick,never makes mistakes, always studies and I don't have to do anything.." answer.

* Describe to me your idea of the worst student and why.

I am not looking for the..." learns really slow,always makes mistakes, doesn't study and I have too much work..." answer.

Flight training is a lot of human factors, maybe even more then physical skill.
Your worst student should be the one that:
- Doesn't respect your knowledge and skill
- Always shows up late or cancels with little notice, messing up not only your day but the school's schedule also
-Motivated to get the license but doesn't want to put in any effort.
- Showing a lack of common sense.
- Has a hazardous attitude in the airplane.

The perfect student is obviously the opposite of the above.
My best instrument student ever still failed his check ride the first time.