PDA

View Full Version : Tailwheel conv

scoobysnack
5th Oct 2008, 16:53
Hey all, im looking to do a tailwheel conv course in the south east UK. Had a few quotes from shoreham, came in just under a thou.

Which club/individual would you recommend for value for money/instruction/ and a/c state?

Cheers!

will fly for food 06
5th Oct 2008, 17:43
Have you tried goodwood? There are just along the coast.

ChampChump
5th Oct 2008, 19:15
Or Headcorn? Plenty of choice there and a great place to fly from.

NigelOnDraft
5th Oct 2008, 21:36
Having done one of these recently... I would think a "quote" for the whole thing would be difficult. There are no set number of hours, and aptitude, instructional ability and weather might mean 2 hours or 10 :ooh:

An hourly rate would be a good comparison. I did mine at WLAC (White Waltham) on the Super Cub. Great place, and with 3 grass runways (and nearby tarmac when required) good for minimising X-winds, or for generating them when you think you understand it :{

Fuji Abound
5th Oct 2008, 21:41
I would think about what you want to fly. Then I would think about whether you want to go on flying the same aircraft after the conversion while you gain some experience. Those two elements may be determining factors.

I might then think about what runways are available at the aircraft's home field. Shoreham and Goodwood have the advantage of six runways.

After all of that it boils down to what the instructor is like, aircraft availability and whether or not you will be able to rent the aircraft for self fly hire after your conversion and inevitably the cost - although I doubt this will varying significantly between clubs being more a factor of the type of aircraft.

smarthawke
5th Oct 2008, 22:15
If you want to do it in a classic (may not be the cheapest way) try the British Airways Flying Club at Wycombe Air Park:

British Airways Flying Club (http://www.bafc.co.uk/)

scoobysnack
5th Oct 2008, 23:01
thx all, for you quick replies and thought out answers- it really is a great community here. in an attempt to try and limit the number of variables at play here-these are the facts:

ive been offered tug work at my local glider field on a cub. The closest airfields to me are - lashenden/goodwood/shoreham/redhill/blackbushe. The budget: as im a student, as low as poss! i got my ppl in low hours; however i know thats no gauge. with the current weather im guessing a field with tarmac is a neccesity-shoreham would be my first choice. However firstly, landing fees are excessive there and secondly im always looking to here other peoples experiences of learning to fly and which clubs ticked the right boxes for them, financially and instruction wise.

Kind regs

SS.

Lister Noble
6th Oct 2008, 07:44
I did mine at Clacton on a Super Cub,excellent tuition and they offer reasonable cost accommodation.
Lister

Rob82
6th Oct 2008, 09:01
I did mine at Thruxton.
I'm not sure whether they have any tail wheel aircraft available to rent there though (i'm lucky enough to have access to a Luscombe silvaire 8A). Good instructors and it only took 2 hours (about £80 for the instructors if i remember).

Rob

rtl_flyer
6th Oct 2008, 11:42
I did my conversion at WLAC, about 3hrs in their Super Cub. Then did two hours in my RV tailwheel as a checkout etc.

I did mine at Thruxton.
I'm not sure whether they have any tail wheel aircraft available to rent there though

Thruxton did have a super cub - was going to do my conversion with them - but somebody re-modeled it and it is no longer!! I don't think they have a tail wheel training/rental a/c any longer. Shame as training at Thruxton would be good. They have tarmac and grass, and circuit is not busy.

Tim

18greens
6th Oct 2008, 18:27
Can no-one at the gliding club sort you out on the Cub. I bet theres a PPL instructor somewhere (or a CRI). Does the conv have to happen at a Licenced airfield?

Also I don't know if it counts but waht happens if you checkout on a Falke, aren't they taildraggers (as are most Gliders)

julian_storey
7th Oct 2008, 21:04
Having done one of these recently... I would think a "quote" for the whole thing would be difficult. There are no set number of hours, and aptitude, instructional ability and weather might mean 2 hours or 10

NigelonDraft has it about right.

Converting to a tail dragger can take ages OR you might pick it up straight away.

You need to be looking at an hourly rate.

If you can get hold of a Cub, I'll do your differences training in exchange for coffee and cakes :)

k12479
7th Oct 2008, 21:21
Another vote for Headcorn - The Tiger Club have a nice Super Cub & no landing/touch & go fees.

Raph
8th Oct 2008, 06:20
SS you have a PM.:)