PDA

View Full Version : What do you get out of it?

JIC
5th Oct 2008, 09:28
Hi guys.

I just wanted to hear about your experience about being a flying instructor.

I am thinking of jumping into it. I am flying for an airline now but would like to have some thing on the side.

What does teaching give you guys?

If you are flying in an airline or what ever, does instructing add any thing to it?

Any comments is appreciated.

JIC:ok:

BelArgUSA
5th Oct 2008, 10:29
Hola JIC -
xxx
After joining airlines many years ago, only a F/O salary, I started to instruct.
Sure, it was rewarding, but a part of the motive was financial.
This was initially with Learjets. Got my CFI rating on a Lear... not a C-150.
Then after NOV 1973, massive lay-offs with airlines. The October War...
Instructing, I started doing it for my airline. F/E then pilots...
First was teaching in classrooms, then simulators, 707s, 727s, 747s...
Got free lance contracts as pilot, then became TRI, then TRE...
All that because I knew how to instruct. It is a respected specialty.
After my airline got finally bankrupt, I found jobs as pilot, being TRI/TRE.
Even if you are a junior pilot captain (by seniority), your status is different as such.
It may help your airline career as well, I absolutely recommend it.
And try to do as best as you can, it gets you known in the industry.
Your pilot trainees are your best recommendation.
xxx
How is DK aviation nowadays...?
I did a 6 month contract on DC8-63s with Sterling, mid-1980s. You guys were great.
Always repeat it to friends, I loved the "biksemad"... Mange tak for the good times.
:ok:
Happy contrails

spinnaker
5th Oct 2008, 12:14
I thoroughly enjoyed instructing, at all levels including classroom work. Money was never that much of a motivator, I could always find something else that paid more. Taking someone off the street, and training them to be a pilot is very rewarding. I even got as nervous as the students on first solo, and felt the same excitement as they did, I felt the same frustrations with getting the weather slots for solo nav. or trying to figure out why captain in waiting cant fly the last 10 feet to the runway for a landing. I felt the same pride whenever a former student pitched up in his latest toy, saying "hey boss, look at me now"

With instructing there are three types a tears, Joy, Sadness and Frustration. I've cried them all and regretted none.

I went on to fly the airlines. I truly enjoyed the company of the people I flew with, but I rarely recaptured the same satisfaction.

I feel instructing experience does provide useful (essential) skills for a successful airline career as long as you 'Instruct' rather than be an operative in a sausage factory. You will learn a lot about people, communication, co-operation, problem solving, flying AND yourself.

VFE
5th Oct 2008, 12:20
If you enjoy seeing other people happy and being part of that success chain then you will love instructing. If you enjoy showing off how much you know about flying then you will do nothing but confuse the fledgling PPL student and make yourself look a bellend.

VFE.

EladElap
5th Oct 2008, 19:59
Flight instruction has been my most enjoyable flying to date. So much so that I still instruct on my time off. There is nothing that beats the feeling so sending a student on their first solo, or seeing your students ace a flight test. Nothing more satisfying in seeing someone go from a novice, to a really competent pilot. Go for it mate, you'll find it the most self gratifying form of flying out there!!

BigEndBob
5th Oct 2008, 20:17
Sent a student solo today.

Probably the most satisfying part.

Next is when they pass a Skill test.

18greens
5th Oct 2008, 20:33
You also learn a lot about flying when you have to teach it to someone else rather than doing the thing that has always worked for you.

Fantastic fun all round. Hugely rewarding. Teaches you things you never knew an aircraft could do.

spinnaker
6th Oct 2008, 07:57
For those who are passionate about instructing, I wouldn't mind betting that if it were not for the money, many would stay where they are. I certainly would have done.

What about others?

eikido
6th Oct 2008, 10:14
oh, this does it. I fell into all categories you mentioned with a big smile!:ok:

I'm certainly becoming a Flight Instructor.

However, i like to call it Flight Teacher because i want to teach, not only instruct :)

Eikido

JIC
7th Oct 2008, 14:05
Thank you very much for all your answers. One can only be inspirred to jump into it and do it after all this positive response.

About Denmark, well wouldn't say the aviation business is going to well. SAS is strugling and have for the last 5-7 years. Sterling have just fired 85 pilots out of 200. But the danish "Biksemad" is still going strong :)

Safe flight to you all and thanks again.

Jic