PDA

View Full Version : Interesting aircraft for dual-flying in Dorset or nearby?

India Four Two
4th Oct 2008, 08:22
I'm off to the UK tonight on business and will be spending a week in Dorset from the 11th to 19th. I haven't flown for the past two years - the Vietnamese government is not keen on anyone flying around in light aircraft.

So I though that I would try to get some dual time in an interesting aircraft. How do I define interesting?

Anything with one or more of the following attributes:

Older then 50 years
Biplane
Open cockpit
Ex-military
Russian
Polish
Czech
French
DH in the name
Composite construction
Not made in Lock Haven, Vero Beach, Wichita or Rheims (with the exception of tail draggers).

My closest airfield will be Compton Abbas, but I'm willing to drive anywhere within 50 miles or so.

Any suggestions?

motherbird
4th Oct 2008, 08:55
Compton Abbas has a Tiger Moth which you can take up for a trial lesson for £140 for 20 mins.

Good fun to fly if a little breezy!

Motherbird

Pace
4th Oct 2008, 09:13
Motherbird

That is £420 per hour how can they justify that ?

Pace

motherbird
4th Oct 2008, 09:34
I expect classic aircraft cost loads to keep airworthy and besides you would expect to pay more to hire a Porsche than a Mini

Motherbird:)

Newforest2
4th Oct 2008, 14:29
I remember when you could get a PPL for under £420!:)

foxmoth
4th Oct 2008, 15:42
Not sure it falls in your list but you could head for UH at Kemble and try the Extra or the Bulldog, the Tailchase stuff is real fun:ok:

Pace
4th Oct 2008, 16:13
>besides you would expect to pay more to hire a Porsche than a Mini<

MotherBird

Somehow with the best of my imagination I cannot for the life of me equate a TigerMoth to a Porshe maybe an Austin 7 ;)

Pace

pulse1
4th Oct 2008, 17:52
I'm sure that the cost is so high becuse these aircraft have to be operated on a Public Transport C of A and do not do many hours when compared to the normal club hack.

India Four Two
5th Oct 2008, 09:38
Thanks for the replies so far. I've just arrived in London and the weather isn't exactly conducive to open cockpit flying!

mb, I had seen the Tiger Moth trial lesson details before and much as I love DH products, I could not justify £420 per hour. I find even "normal" UK rates excessive, having done most of my renting in Canada where £60 per hour gets you a wet 172 or PA 28.

Foxmoth, I think there are Bulldogs at Compton Abbas and Old Sarum which are closer than Kemble, but the Extra sounds interesting.