PDA

View Full Version : Basic PPL type restrictions

9v-SKA
3rd Oct 2008, 02:50
Hi all,
sorry if this is posted before, couldn't find it.
I'm just wondering what are the restrictions on aircraft types that a PPL holder without any additional ratings can fly.
All I know is the plane has to be below 5700 kg MTOW
Single engine (turboprops included?)

Thanks in advanced for your replies.

julian_storey
3rd Oct 2008, 03:52
The holder of a PPL with a Single Engine Piston (Land) CLASS RATING can fly any aircraft with a single piston engine designed to operate from land (as opposed to one which operates from the sea / water).

If an aircraft has 'complexities' (like a c/s prop, retractable gear, tail wheel etc) then you would need differences training from an instructor in respect of each complexity.

There are a few exceptions to this however. LASORS lists a few aircraft (the piston engined Piper Malibu springs to mind) which would seem to appear to belong in the SEP (land) class but which the CAA has decided are sufficiently complicated as to require a type rating.

Mark1234
3rd Oct 2008, 05:35
The answer is it all depends where you are in the world.

The OP lists singapore (I don't know there), Julian assumes UK, (where I have an idea there's no 5700kg limit on SEP land class, though I may be wrong)... and out here in skippyland, it's fixed pitch, fixed gear <5700kg, and you need a rating for CSU / Retract etc., not just differences training. However, you can apparently fly a centreline thrust twin on a SEP rating, whereas the UK requires differences training from a non-centreline thrust twin to a centreline thrust twin.

In short, it's all extremely confusing and not very well standardised, but you *should* be fine in pretty much any fixed gear, fixed prop single. To get a comprehensive answer you'll need to specify under what aviation authority you're flying, and probably dig out their set of rules.

Oh, and just an edit to add: As far as I'm aware most parts of the world give you a Single Engine PISTON rating - that precludes turbines. Even if it didn't, I'm pretty sure most people operating turbine aircraft wouldn't let you near it for hire or work without appropriate training - whether you could legally do so or not :)

Mike Cross
3rd Oct 2008, 08:57
Talking UK
Schedule 8 of the ANO
(1) Subject to paragraph (2), the holder of a Private Pilot’s Licence (Aeroplanes) shall be entitled to fly as pilot in command or co-pilot of an aeroplane of any of the types or classes specified or otherwise falling within an aircraft rating included in the licence.

Details of class ratings are here. (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20F%20-%20TYPE%20AND%20CLASS%20RATING%20(AEROPLANES%20AND%20HELICOP TERS).pdf)

Whopity
3rd Oct 2008, 14:59
I'm just wondering what are the restrictions on aircraft types that a PPL holder without any additional ratings can fly.
Firstly this guy is in Singapore!

From The Singapore ANO:

To be valid a PPL must contain an aircraft rating:
Class ratings are established for aeroplanes certificated for single-pilot operation and comprise

(a) single-engine, land;
(b) single-engine, sea;
(c) multi-engine, land; and
(d) multi-engine, sea.
Type ratings are established for —
(a) each type of aircraft certificated for operation with a minimum crew of at least two pilots;
(b) each type of helicopter certificated for single-pilot operation except where a class rating
has been issued; and
(c) any type of aircraft whenever considered necessary by the chief executive officer.

Presumably you have a single-engine land rating; it would appear that you can fly any single engine aeroplane that is not "type" rated under the Singapore administration. I suggest you look at Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (http://www.caas.gov.sg/caas/en/index.html)

englishal
3rd Oct 2008, 15:38
Looks like Singapore is similar to the FAA.

Under the FAA FARs any aircraft OVER 12500 lbs (5700Kg) requires a Type Rating. Subject to that however you are not limited to piston engines - you can fly a turboprop. IN my case I can fly a B200 King Air in FAA land as PIC as I have an FAA ME rating. In the UK I need a TR for the same aeroplane.

All turbojets require a TR, including the new range of VLJs like the D-Jet.