PDA

View Full Version : how many hours can I do !!!!!

gibr monkey
22nd Sep 2008, 21:14
A Quick question folks... Does the 900 hour per year and 100 hours per 28 days correspond to an instructor teaching ppl et al. that is stipulated for commercial operations....

Anybody know what the situation is..

tbavprof
23rd Sep 2008, 00:57
Not sure of the UK regs. US regs the limit is 8 hours FI per day. No monthly, quarterly, or annual limits.

But, if you do fly commercially, as well as instruct, your FI hours count against the commercial limits.

Vortex Thing
23rd Sep 2008, 01:32
Not unless you are flying on an AOC. If you are an RTF almost certainly NO but if you are an FTO it is worth checking especially if you do mixed flying like flight tests, delivery flights, etc

Most UK schools to be honest probably no is your answer. The hours is a JAR OPS limit

Whopity
25th Sep 2008, 07:28
It is the law in the UK (Art 84) and it applies to all professional flying public transport, aerial work etc but, it does not include "private" flying in an aircraft below 1600 kg. PPL instruction is aerial work! If you have an accident and you are found to be outside the hours then you are probably uninsured as well!

If you are working for an FTO the limits should be clearly stated in the Operations Manual!

Obie
25th Sep 2008, 10:07
If you don't know the answer...

you shouldn't be in the business!!

adverse-bump
25th Sep 2008, 18:02
No, it does not apply for teaching the PPL etc. But does appy if your teaching the CPL.

And doing 100 hours instructing is going at it some! especially if you intend to brief/debrief!

Most i ever got was 70 instructional hours in one cal month. I have done just over 100 airline hours in a cal month before...and it hurts!

BigEndBob
25th Sep 2008, 19:07
http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF&sa=X&oi=revisions_result&resnum=6&ct=result&cd=1&cad=revid%3D1576166413&usg=AFQjCNFdm5q6vPmGMAJdWmuLenn8FuP0xg

Part 6 81 0n..

Used to apply as i got told off for exceeding 100 hrs by CAA inspector, but would have appeared to have changed.

Would have thought any form of training at PPl/CPL/IR exempt.

Whopity
25th Sep 2008, 19:32
No, it does not apply for teaching the PPL etc. But does appy if your teaching the CPL.
Based on what? Article 84 makes no such distinction, PPL training does not qualify under para (2)
84 (1) Subject to paragraph (2), a person shall not act as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom if at the beginning of the flight the aggregate of all his previous flight times:
(a) during the period of 28 consecutive days expiring at the end of the day on which the flight begins exceeds 100 hours; or
(b) during the period of twelve months expiring at the end of the previous month exceeds 900 hours.
(2) This article shall not apply to a flight which is:
(a) A private flight in an aircraft of which the maximum total weight does not exceed 1600 kg; or
(b) a flight which is not for the purpose of public transport and is not operated by an air transport undertaking where, at the time when the flight begins, the aggregate of all the flight times of the member of the flight crew concerned since he was last medically examined and found fit by a person approved by the CAA for the purpose of article 32(2) does not exceed 25 hours.

gibr monkey
2nd Oct 2008, 16:58
so if instructing is aerial work then you must be limited to 100 hours in 28 days....Its just that my CFI told me that instucting is exempt from this but AOC aerial work such as aerial photography has a limit.....

mind boggles!!

Mister Geezer
4th Oct 2008, 14:59
Instructing is aerial work if you are remunerated for it.

Whopity
5th Oct 2008, 08:55
If the student hires the aircraft from a club for the instruction, it is Aerial Work even if the instructor is not remunerated for it! The Club is remunerated for the purpose of instruction by virtue of hiring the aircraft!

Mister Geezer
5th Oct 2008, 12:54
Just out of interest... that differs to what the CAA told me!

Whopity
5th Oct 2008, 17:56
Then I suggest that you get them to read their own document
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1428/summary_of_public_transport.pdf
which says:
Even if no passenger is carried or there is no payment for the carriage of the passenger (and the operator is not an air transport undertaking) so that it is not a public transport of passengers flight, it may of course be aerial work if any payment has been made in respect of the flight or for the purpose of the flight.
You just can't get the staff any more!