PDA

View Full Version : PPL training in North Wales

drivez
15th Sep 2008, 19:45
Hi anyone know of any good flight instructors or schools in North Wales particularly around the Wrexham/Chester Area?

Thanks in advance.

maxdrypower
15th Sep 2008, 20:26
Try QDM Aviation at Caernarfon they are very good indeed lovely airfield and good equipment . It is not the quickest from wrexham but it is worth it . Failing that try the fltying school at hawarden if its still there unfortunately i dont know what its called these days it used to be chester flying school , im sure its still there in one guise or another , it is however a bit more expensive than Caernarfon and the aircraft arent quite as good ,
QDM Aviation Home Page (http://www.air-world.co.uk/QDM/Index.htm)
good luck

Legal Beagle
15th Sep 2008, 21:50
Would have thought Flintshire Flying School at Hawarden was your best bet.

www.flintshireflyingschool.co.uk (http://www.flintshireflyingschool.co.uk)

Whirlybird
16th Sep 2008, 07:05
Sleap and Welshpool are closer to Wrexham than Caernarfon, and probably cheaper than Hawarden. There used to be good instructors at both, but I moved away from the area nearly three years ago, so I'm a bit out of touch now.

BroomstickPilot
16th Sep 2008, 07:51
Isn't Lancashire Aero Club at Hawarden nowadays?

They used to be good.

I believe they went to Hawarden, but I don't know whether that was only a temporary home.

Anybody know where they are now and how they are doing?

Broomstick.

drivez
19th Sep 2008, 20:47
Thanks for the feedback, i'm certainly trying to research whos the best and what kind of prices to expect. Flintshire flying school did look expensive.

Are there any schools that still operate a bit of a work for a discount i.e cleaning aircraft or filing. Or is that some of my own wishful thinking. :sad:

Thanks though for all the help :D

Whirlybird
20th Sep 2008, 05:47
Sleap and Welshpool are both small and friendly enough that it might be worth asking about work. Sleap certainly used to 'pay' their RT operators and fire crew in flying time, but these were qualified PPLs, and it was several years ago so I may be out of date. But Sleap are a flying club not a school, so they're not out to make a profit...or shouldn't be. And asking never did anyone any harm.