PDA

View Full Version : Just desserts.

Max Angle
15th Sep 2008, 18:01
Another drunken thug gets time for an air rage incident.

BBC NEWS | England | Merseyside | Man jailed for kicking cabin crew (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7617455.stm)

Shame he won't be serving it in the Dominican Rebublic, suspect the jails there make ours look like a holiday camp.

groundbum
15th Sep 2008, 18:15
kind of like the lorry drivers who got an instant £2000 for every illegal immigrant on their lorry, could I suggest handling companies get an instant £5000 fine for every person who needs to be restrained that they've boarded. And the ground company pays the entire cost of any diversion.

Betcha they would start to refuse boarding a bit more than at now. I'm sure there's a mentality of get them on board, out my gate area and in 20 mins when doors are shut I'm heading for home and Eastenders omnibus..

G

dope05
15th Sep 2008, 18:26
his jail sentence will be on his record for a long time, the ramifications--- he has not a clue-- dont worry this guy will be paying for the rest of his life-- job done. St Helens-numpties r us. Pity they weren't going to JFK cos then he would have been allowed to continue his holiday for free in Cuba, all paid for by Uncle Sam

Ancient Mariner
15th Sep 2008, 18:31
groundbum, from the article: During the flight Rose became drunk and started to become aggressive towards the passenger sitting next to him.

Based on your logic, fine the CC and let the airline pay the return.......on another airline? :hmm:
Per

dope05
15th Sep 2008, 18:35
Eastenders-- surely Corrie?

SNS3Guppy
15th Sep 2008, 19:04
There's no need to fine anyone but the person who committed the act.

It's illegal to interfere with crewmembers in flight. It's illegal to allow someone passage who is obviously intoxicated. If the airline permitted him aboard knowing he was intoxicated, that's one thing, but the article doesn't provide that information or give that indication. The actor became intoxicated and violent during the flight, and committed an illegal act.

That the airline refused to fly him home is right and appropriate. I have refused to fly passengers who became belligerent or posed a safety of flight risk.

Intoxication is clearly no excuse. One who attacks another still attacks them...whether he is lucid or drunk at the time of the attack doesn't change the results to the victim. Certainly not to the airline or the pilot; the attacker still represents a safety of flight issue.

The actor is fortunate he wasn't on a domestic US flight, with the present mindset. Passengers who act irrationally in flight have been detained by other passengers on a number of occasions, and have been subdued by any means necessary. Had he been on a US flight, there's a good chance he'd have been beaten half to death by fellow passengers long before he started assaulting the flight attendant.

VS-LHRCSA
15th Sep 2008, 20:21
Our jails ARE a holiday camp.

BlueRay
15th Sep 2008, 21:27
wonderful to see how mightier than thou the crew are, i refused a passenger because they were beligerant. Since when was that a crime?

They probably acted like that because you were acting like a yanker. Now remind me what airline do you fly, let me guess, ba. (bloody awful)

SNS3Guppy
15th Sep 2008, 22:08
I don't act like anything. I behave in a neutral manner. When a passenger becomes unruly, however, and refuses to cooperate, interferes with flight crewmembers in their duty, and poses a threat to the safety of the flight, then they're off the airplane. Period.

The pilot in command is charged with the safe outcome of the flight. As a pilot, it is my only concern. I do my utmost to make sure everyone is comfortable in every means, but my overriding concern, and my chief duty, is safety of flight.

I'm not concerned about the passenger who brags, or who is cheating on his wife, or who wears inappropriate colors, or who hasn't bathed or has screaming children. A passenger who poses a safety of flight issue, as clearly this one did, is removed. It's not negotiable, it doesn't need an explanation. There's no room for debate. It's beyond contest or question. Behave, or leave. Period.

Once a passenger has struck a crewmember, there can be no question at all that is or her options have run out. In the US, it's a federal offense, and taken very, very seriously.

A passenger who fails to comply with safety instructions is in the same boat. He or she will be asked nicely. Then told. Then ordered. A passenger who fails to comply (they're not safety suggestions, by the way) is subject to handling as may be required...and certainly not as the passenger may wish.

If the airplane is pushing back and you refuse to sit down turn off your cell phone, you'll be asked nicely. If you still refuse ("you can't tell me what to do" is belligerant) you'll be told, and failing that, you'll be offered the chance to leave the airplane under your own power before you're arrested and forcibly removed...but you won't be continuing on that flight. That's a pilot's discretion as well as company policy.

If you think that's hard for the passenger, I once had a First Officer who acted beligerantly in the cockpit, refusing to do something...only on the basis of "I don't want to." I dealt with it in my own way and continued the flight. In discussing it with the chief pilot at a later date, the chief pilot's immediate response was "I would have turned the airplane back to the gate and put him off." That's right. He wouldn't put up with it from a passenger, nor from a crewmember...even a pilot. How much wiggle room do you think that leaves for you?

Tudor
15th Sep 2008, 22:09
Our jails ARE a holiday camp.

Are you speaking from personal experience or just parroting what you've read in the Daily Mail?

Globaliser
16th Sep 2008, 08:04
wonderful to see how mightier than thou the crew are, i refused a passenger because they were beligerant. Since when was that a crime?Probably since the Air Navigation Order was first drafted.

You have heard of that, haven't you?

anartificialhorizon
16th Sep 2008, 08:22
I cannot believe he was just released and left to go off on holiday upon touching down in the DR.

Good to hear the long arm caught up with the thug on his return...:D

Bet he thought he'd got away with it....

Eboy
16th Sep 2008, 08:33
Why do passengers continue to be allowed to drink to excess during flights? Why not have a no-alcohol policy?

Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

JEM60
16th Sep 2008, 09:02
I always find it amazing that these wonderful examples of manhood actually succeed in finding women to go on holiday with them!!!!!. I shudder to think what THEY must be like!!!!
I cruise these days, usually on American ships, because I cannot usually stand Brits on holiday. Even then you find the occassional one who says that the best thing about it is the 24 hour bar!!! What a sad existence!!.

VAFFPAX
16th Sep 2008, 09:52
Don't take the fun out of flying by taking away my vodka! Don't you DARE take away my tipple. :-)

Nothing's nicer than having a drink or two with your meal, just because a bunch of people don't know when to stop does not mean that EVERYONE has to suffer.

S.

anartificialhorizon
30th Oct 2008, 09:30
Too true VAFFPAX.

As long as you don't spill it over the throttles /radios....:}

CornishFlyer
30th Oct 2008, 09:56
Why do passengers continue to be allowed to drink to excess during flights? Why not have a no-alcohol policy?

Einstein defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

What a daft comparison. No 2 humans are the same so the amount they can contain is different every time. People that drink regularly tend to be able to take more without adverse effects than someone that hardly ever drinks. Everyone is different. Most crew will stop serving people that have drunk a fair amount but it can be hard to judge how much was consumed before the flight too. Don't forget altittude increases the effects too

Put1992
30th Oct 2008, 10:16
Plus, then wouldn't passengers be more tempted to bring their own on bought in duty free, and then the amount the drink can't be controlled by CC?

amanoffewwords
30th Oct 2008, 11:41
Are you speaking from personal experience or just parroting what you've read in the Daily Mail?

I provide IT support for a couple of prisons in Surrey - from my limited experience as a visitor they are definitely not a pleasant environment - very noisy, cramped, intimidating and generally unpleasant. The 'reception' area includes plastic boxes for new prisoners to stand on while they're being strip-searched - not what you'd expect from a holiday camp.:eek: