PDA

View Full Version : Interesting places to fly to in the USA

BarryW
30th Aug 2008, 16:42
Hi,

I'm planning on doing some hour building in the U.S early next year, I will probably be using either a C152 or C172.
The plan is to do 50 hours, in two weeks.

Has anybody done this? Are there any worthwhile places to go to or routes to do.
I would need to average about 5 hours a day.

Thanks

Airbus Girl
30th Aug 2008, 17:44
I did it a fair while back - where are you starting from and what sort of thing do you like? Obviously there are certain destinations from Florida and certain from California, or you could fly from one side to the other, or from, for example, San Diego to Canada and back. I've done all, so feel free to PM too.

chrisbl
30th Aug 2008, 19:13
I can recomend the west coast - far more interesting than Florida.

Cusco
30th Aug 2008, 19:19
I can only speak of the West Coast (California/Arizona/Nevada) where there's a wealth of stuff: Do a quick search and stacks of threads will appear: Las Vegas: Grand Canyon: Death Valley:Big Bear:Napa:Sedona:Van Nuys: Lake Havasu City the list is endless.

There are plenty of smaller places to drop into just for gas and a burger: Harris Ranch, Agua Dulce, Chiriaco Summit:

Yep, you could do all your 50 hours in and around the west coast and still leave space for another visit the year after.......

However: some of the altitudes involved might be a bit much for a C150 - your best bet would be a C172.

Where are you going to be based?

Beware the LA basin unless you have an IR as the Marine layer can spoil your day.........

Someone else will be along soon singing the praises of Florida, or a cross continent flight.

I guess that at 5 hours a day you won't get much time in for sight seeing...

Enjoy it: Flying in the US is a dream.

Hmmm. now you've got me thinking again.

Cusco

Hireandhire
30th Aug 2008, 23:25
If you're east coast Kittyhawk got my vote in 2003: if you're near Durham or Charlotte NC it's only an hour or so.
Nice flight over sea past Navy bases and a totally deserted uncontrolled strip next to the memorial and museum.

It would be rude not to !

regards
HnH

SkyHawk-N
31st Aug 2008, 00:47
Hmmm. now you've got me thinking again.

Cusco

Cusco, the invite is there! :ok:

BarryW
2nd Sep 2008, 15:14
I am open to the west coast option as well, Disney world and Cape Canaveral being the draw card for the east coast.

Can you recommend any schools with reliable aircraft, that are willing to rent the a/c over multiple days on the west coast.

I have extended the trip to 20 days, so will hopefully be able to get some sightseeing in.

172driver
2nd Sep 2008, 17:41
Definitely West Coast - and don't forget to do a night flight over L.A. One of the most memorable things you can do in a spamcan:ok:

One nice outfit there is Justice aviation (http://www.justiceaviation.com/) in KSMO. You may have to contend with the marine layer there, but as you're going away for a trip, this is not really a problem (in fact, it rarely is one anyway, as the marine layer typically burns off by about 10-11am).

BHenderson
2nd Sep 2008, 17:58
Look at a map of the national parks and recreational areas in the USA. All the ones on the West coast are very good. I just recently did a trip and have posted some information here: http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/337593-fastest-best-way-get-hour-builidng.html#post4312150

Fright Level
2nd Sep 2008, 18:21
LAX area - must do - Big Bear, Catalina & Santa Barbara.

Julian
3rd Sep 2008, 00:15
You will be spoilt for choice, unfortunately so much so that you will probably need to go back again and again to see everything :)

For me, the highlights have been,

Las Vegas (make sure you time it to land just as night falling, flying parallel to the strip is an amzing sight!!!)

Grand Canyon (never get tired of this one)

Hoover Dam.

Santa Monica (the land of 'the beautiful people' - I remember EAs eyes popping out when we went here :eek:)

Sedona

Catalina

Big Bear

And thats just a few off the top of my head....

J.

neilcharlton
5th Sep 2008, 13:34
out of interest how long does it take to get your FAA licence forms back once sumbitted.

i know you have to pay £17 to the CAA for data protection release then send off to the FAA and designate a US flgiht school for your check flights.

i m thinking about doing a US trip in december

tingtang
5th Sep 2008, 14:35
I've done the Florida area and really enjoyed it! Some highlights include:

-Florida Keys

-Bahamas (although did them in a twin...)

-Miami and all the way up the east coast of FL to Jacksonville.

-Naples and all the way up the west coast of FL and then round to New Orleans.

-Continue north from Jacksonville towards Philladelphia although how far you get depends how cold it gets and maybe stop in Atlanta along the way.

-If your up for a challenge - flying Tampa Int, Orlando Int and Miami Int in one day.

-Flying visits to Disney and NASA.

englishal
5th Sep 2008, 14:42
West coast every time.....Start in LA then do Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Northern California, New Mexico (I flew through Monument Valley, between the monuments.....that was FUN!) etc etc etc......

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2262/1930862525_ff4fde29af_m.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2171/1930863271_0bdd9e2f31_m.jpg

At least you should be able to find VMC, somewhere! 50hrs in 2 weeks? Phew, sounds hectic.

Three weeks and I'll be there :ok:...Julian, are you up for it???????

B2N2
6th Sep 2008, 11:50
englishal, is that a DA-42 out of San Diego..?:ok:

englishal
6th Sep 2008, 13:06
Long Beach ;)

Put1992
6th Sep 2008, 13:20
Any diaries out there? Wouldn't mind seeing some pictures etc. Something I'd love to do in the future

englishal
6th Sep 2008, 14:20
Here are a few more to whet your appetite for the West ;)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2080/1930813601_0cd57dedaf_m.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2231/1931610988_592d5fa7d7_m.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/1931747246_405eb1c382_m.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2335/1930821979_c8fc0a24f4_m.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2104/1931548076_8e8390ed01_m.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2304/1930707939_772d0b2a51_m.jpg

Put1992
6th Sep 2008, 17:01
Fantastic shots englishal!!

May I ask, How much experience did you have when you flew in the US?

Thanks

BarryW
6th Sep 2008, 18:04
Pictures are amazing, thanks for posting.

I have revised my two weeks to three weeks.
I'm struggling to find a school that does not require 4 hours minimum/ day for a C172. C172 I will be taking a passenger along for the ride so C152 just aint big enough

scooter boy
7th Sep 2008, 10:16
Best North American Continental flight destinations IMHO:

Almost everywhere is friendly, well equiped and inexpensive (and I've flown there quite a bit, both coasts, the bit in the middle, Bahamas/Caribbean and Canada) - you won't see half as many miserable old men sipping coffee in prefabs whilst their elderly cessnas rust outside as you do over here. In fact, I think this flying club style is unique to the UK!!

Anyway try these:

Fly in to Oshkosh WI during the show

Fly to sun 'n fun during the show

Sporty's pilot shop, Batavia, Ohio

Lake Havasu City AZ - check out the old London Bridge and the island built specially for it

Peachtree County Atlanta - lovely place

Las Vegas - Henderson/McCarran - to play a few tables / meet the Mafia (and experience architectural vulgarity in its purest form - if you irritate the local mob you may become part of the vulgar architecture)

Santa Monica airport for a walk down the boulevard to check out the beautiful people

Nassau Bahamas/Staniel Cay - it'll make you feel like James Bond in Thunderball (where it was filmed) - especially if you adopt a schlightly Schean Connery sctyle accschent!

Oceano County CA - to dip your toes in the pacific - it's right on the beach.

New Orleans Lakefront - take a cab to Bourbon street (check the wx first though!)

Van Nuys CA - to see what busy airspace with superslick controllers is really like - parallel runways, lots of jets, lots of training

Kerrville Texas - to collect your new Mooney from the factory (of course! - you weren't thinking of buying anything else were you?)

Carmel/Monterey CA (via the golden gate bridge)- 'cause Clint is/was the Mayor and Arnie is the governor, (best behave yourself at this destination)

Meig's field Chicago used to have a very cool approach over lake Michigan til that dumb mayor bulldozed it.
You can get a similar experience at Toronto Island Airport, Ontario CA

God bless America, better weather (with occasional exceptions), cheaper, newer aircraft, very few landing fees, great customer service, God why do we live here???

SB

englishal
7th Sep 2008, 11:24
May I ask, How much experience did you have when you flew in the US?
I originally got my JAA PPL in the USA....then went back for a few flying holidays, then did the IR (pre Visa days;)), ME, CPL etc.....We flew to Vegas and other places even just after getting the PPL though- sub 100 hrs or so I think.

If you have never flown there before, read up on the rules and regs (Google FAR AIM), and expect 5 hrs with an instructor - not because you need it legally, but probably because you will feel more comfortable. If you go to the West coast make sure this time includes a mountain checkout, and if the LA area, get a Catalina checkout. Catalina Island - great, hill top airfield - do not get low and slow though!

Regarding rentals...If you say to a flying school you want the plane for 3 weeks, you might be able to negotiate 15 hrs per week. I'd also negotiate a "dry" rate as it makes it easier, rather than having to keep all the fuel receipts to knock off the rental costs when you get back.

I recommend this place, so long as you don't want to fly sh*t ;):

www.californiaflightcenter.com

have fun!

BarryW
8th Sep 2008, 18:32
If you go to the West coast make sure this time includes a mountain checkout, and if the LA area, get a Catalina checkout. Catalina Island - great, hill top airfield - do not get low and slow though!

What exactly do these checkouts consist of?

englishal
8th Sep 2008, 19:59
Mainly making you aware of things like Density Altitude and flight planning, mountain weather, showing you little tips like experimenting with climb power on downwind to make sure you'll actually climb on take off, leaning for best power on the ground, choosing abort points that "if not off by....." etc.... For Catalina it was just some circuits on the airfield, which in itself is not that difficult. The thing is it is a bit of a carrier deck (google image search Catalina Airport) so if you come in low/slow you could be in trouble, and you get some pretty strong updrafts at the end of the runway. Equally when you take off the runway is a bit humped so you think you're going to drive right off the edge of the cliff - but you're not, the runway is huge at 3000' -I suppose they don't want you to do anything stupid...

thatscaptaintou
8th Sep 2008, 20:17
Hi Barry

I went over to San Diego in May & June this year and ran up just over 60 hours in 3 weeks there. I was based at Montgomery Field airport, which lies just to the north of Lindbergh and within spitting distance of Miramar Airforce Base.

San Diego, be it Montgomery or further up near LA, say at Fullerton, is very handy. You can head east for 2.5 hours in wind up in Las Vegas. I flew over to Vegas one day, stayed the night and the next day, flew from Henderson, over the Grand Canyon, Page (in Arizona) and from there headed to Monument Valley and then back over the Canyon to Montgomery. Now that trip was 9 hours flying in 1 day - it is tiring and you need a day off, so be careful.

Other than that, from San Diego, you could take a 4 hour trip to San Francisco, head to Yosemite and whilst you're there, head to Catalina - that's an airport every pilot must visit. I took loads of photo's if you ever want to see any. One advantage of San Diego - Montgomery in particular, is that it lies in Class B airspace, so you have SoCAL to deal with - very useful if you're going commercial!

All the best whatever you do

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=85370&id=1275872058

If this works, the above link is takeoff from Catalina

SkyHawk-N
9th Sep 2008, 01:37
When people talk about flying on the west coast it's automatically assumed that it's all about California. Come to the northwest and fly, it's great up here. Stunning coastline and mountains, and great towns and cities. Not quite as warm but there are less 'fruitcakes'. :ok:

Fright Level
10th Sep 2008, 10:25
For Catalina it was just some circuits on the airfield

And a local rule, no touch and goes, so each one a full stop and backtrack. Unusually a $20 landing fee too, but great value. On departure back to LAX area, take off at 1600 amsl then drop down to sea level and do some dolphin/whale watching. The PV practise area frequency will be live with reports of any sightings.

n736ff
11th Sep 2008, 22:46
Reading these posts from the UK, makes me so happy to live and fly in the U.S. Southwest. It's great. I agree about at least a C172. Agree about staying out of SOCAL, So much to see a further east.

Las Vegas, use one of the relievers(vgt), LAS is expensive. Grand Canyon, be careful about SFAR area or better yet grab a helicopter trip. Monument valley (picture in a previous post). Sedona, watch winds at both ends (be high over end).

Many, many more--have fun

neilmac
12th Sep 2008, 06:23
This thread has got me thinking now! Just wanna maybe go for a week of pleasure flying in January, things like Grand Canyon sound fab. What is the score with the weather in the states in Jan?

NM

david viewing
12th Sep 2008, 11:20
What is the score with the weather in the states in Jan?

Was fairly poor for VFR on the west coast in January this year. I fly a rented 172R out of Prescott, Central Arizona, where you can pretty much fly anytime of the year. But this year incoming storms from the NW kept me on the ground in Vegas (Lovely VGT - North Las Vegas) for days (a right bore once you've been there a few times) and ruled out going west to California or much further N than Reno. That left going E where low cloud and poor vis in the Rockies set a limit that way too. Still had a nice time going up to Bishop, CA, and then to Grand Junction Colorado where I rented a car for few days until weather cleared up. Added up to a very dissapointing 15Hrs in 2 weeks! (Glad to have a sympathetic FBO).

Here's the Death Valley weather on 4th Jan 2008:

http://www.viewing.com/arizona/31%20(Small).JPG

Other Januarys, I've been to Sacramento, San Diego, and through the Rockies to the plains, all VFR. But not this year.

Also bear in mind that N of Reno, most years everything is blanketed in snow, not so good from the survival perspective. This is Mono Lake in January 2005.

http://www.viewing.com/arizona/January%202005/DSCF0924s.jpg

If you are thinking about the SW in January, you could contact James Dunn at Northaire, Prescott (http://www.northaire.com/), regarding checkouts and rentals.

Fright Level
12th Sep 2008, 11:51
based at Montgomery Field

Worth a trip just for the Mexican restaurant you park outside of!

Sir George Cayley
12th Sep 2008, 17:14
Unless I missed it, no-one seems to have mentioned Kermit Weeks Fantasy of Flight at Polk City Fl. Well worth a landing.:ok:

For a really interesting destination out West try landing at Area 51:eek:

Sir George Cayley