PDA

View Full Version : New Farnborough LARS service

drambuster
25th Aug 2008, 11:48
I was wondering if any air traffic guys could explain the Farnborough handover procedure to me when passing from, for example, Farnborough East (123.225) to West (125.25). Yesterday I was in this situation having just passed to the south of Biggin Hill while heading west.

I was expecting a 'hot' handover with no break in service (maybe a change of squawk), especially since we were on an RIS due to intermittent IMC in this very busy airspace. i.e "call Farnborough 125.25 - they have your details".

However, much to my disappointment, this was not the case at all - we were told to squawk 7000 and free call Farnborough 125.25 :uhoh:

Given that these guys are (I assume, but I'm sure someone will put me straight) sitting right next to each other then surely it would have been less work for everyone to pass the details across to his/her mate ? !!

As it was, we dropped out of service for several minutes whilst patiently (not:mad:) waiting for our turn to get back on service. Given that we were heading towards the Farnborough IAP feathers then I think the less time 'off air' the better.

I believe the concept of a London wide LARS is great but surely the handover should be seamless - or am I being too demanding ?

Comments appreciated.

Leezyjet
25th Aug 2008, 13:09
Used them a few weeks ago, changed from North-West and was a seamless handover from what I remember - don't recall having to change the squawk back to 7000 between calls.

:confused:

chevvron
25th Aug 2008, 13:26
Don't know what time it happened but it wasn't me!
Normal procedure for handover RIS is for the handing over controller to hand the flight progress strip with your details to the receiving controller, indicate where you are, then instruct you to 'contact... 'etc. For a FIS transfer, the strip is handed over and you are instructed to 'report squawk to.....'etc.

drambuster
25th Aug 2008, 14:21
Chevron,

Thanks for the reply, and what you outline as standard procedure makes a lot of sense. I'll assume that yesterday was just a temporary 'glitch' !

Incidentally this happened at around 6pm local.

Next time, if someone suggests dumping me out of the system, I will politely ask for a proper handover !! :)

Cheers

Drambuster

drambuster
25th Aug 2008, 14:55
Chevron,

Sorry but the Bank Holiday confused me somewhat . . . . . it was actually on Saturday I was coming back, not yesterday ! We were heading home from Le Touquet to White Waltham and the handover from East to West LARS would have been around 1810 local.

Drambuster.

SonicTPA
2nd Sep 2008, 19:32
Was your callsign G-DB?

If so, you said you wanted to transit the Biggin ATZ, so were asked to squawk 7000 and freecall Biggin Approach 129.4, and then call farnborough West 125.250 afterwards. Hence the non-seamlessness of it.

If you were'nt G-DB, PM me your callsign

S