PDA

View Full Version : Question to former airforce instructors that became FI(A)

bArt2
25th Aug 2008, 06:39
After being an instructor in the air force for 10 years and having done about 2500 hours instructing I decided to get my FI(A) in the beginning of this year.

Luckily there are some agreements between the civilians and the air force so the only thing I had to do was a briefing and the flight examination. All went fine.

The Belgian CAA issued me my FI(A) rating but insisted on the 100 hours, 25 solo's restriction. It is a bit anoying because to let my students do their first solo I would have to ask someone to do that (for example a young instructor with 150 hours of instruction). Worse is the fact I can not instruct night flying or IFR training.

In the mean time I still instruct in the air force, would these hours add up to the 100 hours and would the solo supervisions add up to the 25?

Is it the same in other countries, or do you get the restirction lifted directly?

Bart

BEagle
25th Aug 2008, 07:58
In the UK, the following applies to RAF Central Flying School QFIs:

CFS Category B2 will equate to a FI(A) with all restrictions as per JAR-FCL 1.325.

CFS Category B1, with at least 200 hours flight instruction, will equate to a FI(A) without the Supervisory Restriction. All other restrictions will be endorsed.

CFS Categories A1 and A2 will equate to a FI(A) with no restrictions other than single pilot, single engine aeroplanes.

A QFI on initial appointment is normally rated B2. After 6 months, he/she should upgrade to B1. To become an A2 takes probably another 12-18 months and a very searching flight and ground session with a CFS Staff Instructor - it isn't an easy ride!

A1 QFIs are exceptional - and very rare indeed!

bArt2
25th Aug 2008, 08:34
That is simular to what is used in the Belgian air force, which is logical since the BAF originated out of the RAF during WWII.

After passing the IP course and tests, you start of as CAT B

Then with a minimum of 200 Hrs instruction and by appointment of the Squadron Commander and passing the test, you become CAT B+

Then you can become CAT A, if they need one,
After:

Being appointed by SQ CO
Being a pilot for at least 4 years
Having been B+ for at least 2 years
Having at least 400 hours instruction
Be considered very professional and extremely experienced in instructional techniques
Having presented a study on a topic relative to pilot training or flying
Passing a written exam and flying tests.
Being CAT A I would normally be unrestricted but I guess the aggreements between the military and civil authorities are not worked out very well in Belgium.

Whopity
25th Aug 2008, 11:11
As the whole purpose of the Restricted rating is to allow an FI to obtain the necessary experience to judge when a pupil is ready to go solo, you should ask the Belgian DCA to justify their actions.

If an FI is already qualified under another system to send students solo, then there is no safety justification for the Restriction. In the UK you could appeal under Regulation 6 against the failure to issue an unrestricted rating. Is there an appeal procedure in Belgium? If so exercise you rights and use it.

bArt2
25th Aug 2008, 17:20
There is no such appeal procedure available in Belgium as far as I know, and I discussed the matter with the director of licensing.

His response is that I should allready be happy that I do not have to do the complete course.

His justification is "you receive the FI rating for the first time, so you start as everybody else".

I guess I will just have to wait for the 25 solo's

Bart

Whopity
25th Aug 2008, 18:10
JAR-FCL 1.020 states that: the knowledge, experience and skill gained in military service will be credited towards the relevant requirements at the discretion of the Authority. The fact that you have it means that you are not like everybody else! Do they not give any military credits?

bArt2
26th Aug 2008, 04:45
Credit, yes. Not having to do the full course, just the practical test is enough credit according to the CAA.

Whopity
27th Aug 2008, 13:16
They'll get a bit of a shock when EASA bring in competency based training!

kme
27th Aug 2008, 16:16
Sounds pretty Belgian to me.... ;)

bArt2
28th Aug 2008, 08:23
They'll get a bit of a shock when EASA bring in competency based training!

What do you mean by that? My knowledge about EASA is still rather limited.

Sounds pretty Belgian to me.... http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

It is indeed. In fact I had also requested to be exempted from the MCC course because I had done 4 years of transport aircraft flying in crew. He declined saying that if he followed my logic I would get everything for free :*

On the other hand I am happy to have done the MCC because I learned some things from it, expensive lessons though.