PDA

View Full Version : One hand or two?

Aceninja
24th Aug 2008, 22:35
I recently got my PPL after what seemed like an eternity! During the checkride, I was being watched by a person other than my CFI and I was a bit nervous, especially as he wanted me to use only one had (my left - I am right handed) on the controls for the whole 1.8hour flight. My CFI had allowed me to use two hands except for the crucial parts such as take off./landing. Is the way I was taught all along improper, ie are you supposed to use only one hand on the yoke the whole time? Or is this just another technique? Which one makes you a better pilot? Just thougth I would ask..

Zyox
24th Aug 2008, 23:16
Any time I put my right hand on the controls it got slapped away by any flight instructor I've flown with. I fly with two fingers max now.

I'd say the only time I use my second hand is when doing stalls to pull the control column back as much as possible during the first part.
Much better for when you move onto twins and you need your right hand the whole time!

bucket_and_spade
24th Aug 2008, 23:28
Don't be phased - use as many hands as you want! Personal preference - you're qualified now so can do what you're more comfortable with.

Obviously near the ground you'll want one hand on the throttle/s.

Zyox makes the point that if you've nailed the trimming, you shouldn't need any more than a small force (i.e. one hand...or a finger!) to tease the thing where you want it!

winto22
24th Aug 2008, 23:33
YEAH I AGREE WITH ZYOX , DURING MY TRAINING I WAS THE SAME WAY IN THE PPL AND NOW ESPECIALLY THE CPL , LEFT HAND ON THE YOKE IF UR IN LEFT SEAT , 2 FINGERS IS EVEN BETTER , DO LEAVE THE RIGHT ONE FREE FROM YOKE IF POSSIBLE , EXCEPT ON THE INITIAL OF A STALL OR SIRAL DIVE OR SPIN , TRIMMING OUR UR AIRCRAFT IS ALOT TO DO WITH THIS ASWELL IVE RECENTLY LEARNT , :ok:

The African Dude
25th Aug 2008, 00:44
I'm not sure if one-handed technique makes you a better pilot that two-handed or vice-versa. However, I was taught to use only the left hand despite having a throttle on the left as well as in the centre (R2160). In any case, it was a column, not a yoke, so I could only use one hand. This got me into the habit of keeping one hand more-or-less permanently on the throttle when not using it for anything else.

This was a bit of an arm-ache at first, and I'm not sure that under normal ops it is necessary, but in the event of a collision avoidance manouvre I'd be happier not having to spend an extra half a second reaching for the throttle! Other than that, I'd say it comes down to just personal preference, but I would say that there's something wrong if you need more than one hand's worth of pressure to move the controls.

AD

Bullethead
25th Aug 2008, 01:36
G'day Aceninja,

Although admittedly a bit further along the road than you at the moment I personally believe that if you want to be in control of your aeroplane then you should have your hands, and feet, on the controls, i.e. one on the control column/stick and the other on the throttle and feet on the pedals. The control forces are not that great that you need both hands on the control column/stick. Keep it trimmed.

If you are lucky enough to have an autopilot then you should also monitor the controls, with light pressure, when close to the ground.

On my present type the only time I have both hands on the control column is after V1, until airborne, in order not to be tempted to reject a takeoff after V1.

Regards,
BH.

Aceninja
25th Aug 2008, 01:39
Thanks for the pointers guys, it seems like I've got some unlearning to do. I am planning on moving on to multi in a bit, so I think I am going to switch to one handed flying from now on :)