PDA

View Full Version : Zulu Lightspeed - any good?

one2go
15th Aug 2008, 18:16
Anyone got one or tried one?

Thanks!

VeriLocation
15th Aug 2008, 19:32
Got them two days ago, comments are:
1. better noise reduction versus my old Dave Clark ANRs
2. bluetooth interface to iPhone 3G amazing - can make crystal clear calls on ground while engine on ( brakes on of course )
3. dock to iPod with auto noise reduction with ATC traffic also works well for longer journeys
4. easy to setup
5. free hard case from Flightstore
6. very light and fits well
7. going to France tomorrow - 4 hour trip so will be able to assess battery life / comfort and report back

ShyTorque
15th Aug 2008, 22:15
Glad someone answered, I've been intrigued all evening. I thought this was a new type of razor or something, but didn't want to ask.... :O

;)

IO540
16th Aug 2008, 05:43
I wonder if this headset could be used to make calls with a bluetooth equipped satellite phone e.g. the Thuraya (Hughes) SG-2520.

I've got one of these and the bluetooth feature works as a dial-up/GPRS connection for internet access but I don't think it supports a headset functionality...

What I'd like to see is a comparison v. the Bose X. Some say it is as good, other say it isn't especially for long flight comfort.

Another interesting thing is that the Zulu can be had with the Lemo aircraft power plug, same as the Bose X. The plugs are not available on the open market and I thought Bose did a deal with Lemo to not sell them to anybody else. They still don't sell them openly, while selling every other pin configuration in that connector range.

IanSeager
16th Aug 2008, 07:27
What I'd like to see is a comparison v. the Bose X. Some say it is as good, other say it isn't especially for long flight comfort.

Comfort is obviously very difficult to measure as it depends on many factors, not least of which is the pilot's head. However, we did measure noise reduction in an ANR group test back in January. I don't have the figures to hand, but from memory the bose x performed (slightly) better. I'll try to dig out a pdf and email you next week.

Ian

one2go
16th Aug 2008, 08:58
Veri,

Looking forward to hearing how your trip to France goes with the headsets!

deepflyer
16th Aug 2008, 14:25
I got mine in April and have only good things to say about Zulu. Been flying about 20 hrs on a C172 this summer, so far the headset exceeding my expectations.
On my last trip to North Norway from Sandefjord (total 1633 nm), I got a good chance to try out the bluetooth feature. I used my Nokia 6500slide and was connected to outside world via bluetooth on the Zulu, while flying way above the ground. It worked perfectly well at 4000 ft and 7500ft. Those folks on the other end of the telephone line could not believe that I was flying an aircraft, as there were no background noises at all.
I also used the "Line In" feature on the headset in order to get terrain warnings from a Garmin 496, this works great as well.
When it comes to comfort, the headset gets top rating. Even after 2,5 h of flying, I didn't notice that I had the headset on my head.

The headset isn't cheap, but it is worth the money invested.

englishal
16th Aug 2008, 15:43
I've got the Zule LS and am very happy with them. In fact it was the Flyer test which convinced me to get the LS over the Bose-X for several reasons:

-The non ANR noise reduction is better in the Zulu than the bose-x. If you every have to fly without ANR on, this could be a factor.
-The Bluetooth capability, as well as other inputs, like Ipod with auto music muting facility.
-The ANR is fantastic, as good as the Bose in my opinion.
-They were $150 cheaper.

I'm glad I did, I have used both the Bose-x and the Zulu LS and I'd go for the LS any day. The Bose is a little lighter but that really doesn't make too much difference to me. Both are comfortable.

Bought mine online from Sporty's and saved well over a hundred quid when delivered to my house over the UK price delivered.

one2go
16th Aug 2008, 20:06
englishal do you have a link for sporty's?

malc4d
16th Aug 2008, 22:19
Pilot Supplies from Sporty's® Pilot Shop - Home Page (http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/)

google is your friend.....

UL730
17th Aug 2008, 12:33
I use LightSpeed 25XL's and Thirty3G's in my flying machine - therefore cannot comment directly on Zulus.

If they have bettered these - which they seem to claim - then they will be exceptional. The move to steel and magnesium over plastic seems sensible.

I have found LightSpeed's after sales service through Walter Mazanek of Audio Acoustics in Gräfelfing, Germany - absolutely superb. This aspect of ownership is very important when considering ANR headsets.

Would be very interested to learn if it works with bluetooth function in Thuraya SG-2520.