PDA

View Full Version : Schiphol new SRZ now active

flyme273
8th Aug 2008, 11:38
visitors to Holland and Schiphol coastal transits, be aware of the new Schiphol SRZ north and south (1200 to 1500 ft) of the main airport, these areas are now active by NOTAM until 17 Oct 08.

info on www.ais-netherlands.nl (http://www.ais-netherlands.nl). No provision of a crossing service is given in the info.

The North SRZ follows the coastline, therefore northbound coastal traffic will presumably cruise at 1200 ft (or below) following the Right Hand Rule??? Southbounds can continue with 1500ft Right Hand Rule and remain clear.

Would cause a conflict if northbound traffic continues at 1500 ft and instead of RHR meerly routes offshore.

Personally, when southbound I shall be allowing additional distance from the coast.

The South SRZ strangely mentions Valkenburg SRZ. This airport was closed???

Elsewhere in this busy area, VFR traffic is squeezed into smaller airspace.

Should not Mode S aircraft (required in Holland) be able to receive a crossing and traffic service, after all that expenditure on safety??? :)

dublinpilot
8th Aug 2008, 11:51
What's an SRZ?

Katamarino
8th Aug 2008, 12:03
Special Rules Zone? (Bit of a guess)

flyme273, where do you fly out of? :) I'm based at Rotterdam...

BackPacker
8th Aug 2008, 12:16
They have been in force for quite some time now - I first heard about them early June. They are indeed prohibited areas, with no provision for a crossing service, unless you are one of the named exceptions like police etc.

It looks rather serious but in reality it isn't. These SRZs (that's Special Rules Zone) are both underneath the Schiphol TMA (1500' and up), where traffic is vectored for final approach at 2000'. As the wake turbulence of this traffic can extend downwards something like 700', the advise has always been to transit underneath this TMA no higher than 1300'. Having to go down to 1200' is not that big of a deal, particularly when you look at the terrain down there - most of the land, with the exception of the dunes, is below sealevel anyway.

The Valkenburg (EHVB) CTR is now closed but has been replaced by the Valkenburg SRZ. There was a NOTAM about this but I can't find it, and the AIP still mentiones the CTR so I don't know its exact status. For all practical purposes, as I remembered, you can now cross without a clearance (which was virtually never refused anyway) but have to stay clear of the ATZ: The local glider club still operates from Valkenburg.

But now that we're talking about this - you might also want to check out the NOTAM about EHP26a. Another prohibited area, this time roughly over the premises of the International Court of Justice in Scheveningen. It got established about the same time Karadzic arrived there - coincidence?

flyme273
8th Aug 2008, 12:45
Katamarino

Was at Rotterdam, but it became poor value-for-money (handling agents) and hassle. Last summer based aircraft at Seppe on grass, no hanger available. Now at Middenzeeland EHMZ (aircraft presently in maintenance).

I'll sent you contact details by PM.

flyme

flyme273
8th Aug 2008, 13:07
Backpacker

Generally concur, however the north SPZ (Special Rules Zone) part that follows the coast would concern. This is likely to catch people out as it won't be on Garmin maps. Seems to me the SRZ could have stopped short of the coast to allow traditional northbound route 1500 ft Right Hand Rule.

We really need a Farnborough type traffic service around Schiphol, especially for east abeam transits and it would give a return on the Mode-S.

As you mention, to GA its effectively Prohibited Airspace - maybe it should have been called this as its meaning is more significant and comes up more readily in a search. The 2 other Prohibited Airspace are Hague (Palace and Government) and a castle somewhere east of Schiphol.

flyme273
8th Aug 2008, 13:41
Backpacker

ref: EHP 26a

"PROHIBITED AREA ACTIVATED FOR CIVIL ACFT AREA 520648N0041948E
520711N0041805E 520626N0041639E 520559N0041758E TO BE KNOWN AS
EHP-26A. POLICE, SAR AND HEMS FLIGHTS ARE EXEMPTED.
LOWER LIMIT: GND UPPER LIMIT: 2000FT AGL : NOTAM EH/A0878/08 (https://www.ippc.no/ippc/notambyid.jsp?bulletinId=EH/A-0878/08)"

hell of a job to find it, Dutch site is full of pages and pages of Notams for Fireworks. Used an extenal site.

Thanks for the tip about that one, so easy to miss and co-ordinates type layout is very unfriendly.

flyme

BackPacker
8th Aug 2008, 17:17
We really need a Farnborough type traffic service around Schiphol, especially for east abeam transits and it would give a return on the Mode-S.

I have no complaints about Amsterdam Info, although it is officially an information service which does not do any traffic advisories. And yes, they do have Mode S on their scopes, AFAIK.

Then again, I usually transit the Schiphol CTR to check the roof condition on my house (Hoofddorp) when I'm in that area.

bArt2
8th Aug 2008, 17:38
This is likely to catch people out as it won't be on Garmin maps.

Should not be a problem since the zones will be visible on the up to date map that you are required to carry and that you would use to plan and fly the flight.

:E Bart

flyme273
11th Aug 2008, 07:23
Bart,

This new retricted airspace (Schiphol SRZ & EHP-26c)- are not shown on 2008 Netherlands Low Level Chart. Hence the problem, it means a NOTAM search and plotting co-ord's. Also as not on Garmin, it means no "reminder" warning of restricted airspace ahead.

Therfore the reason for my posting to make persons aware.:)

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Aug 2008, 10:28
Didn't all our (UK) SRZs (eg Luton) become Class D CTRs?

I'd be very cautious about mixing the words "Restricted" and "Controlled" too closely in relation to airspace.

bookworm
11th Aug 2008, 12:55
Didn't all our (UK) SRZs (eg Luton) become Class D CTRs?

That's true, but it's not really related to the NL concept of a SRZ. It's not really clear why they can't be specified as Restricted Areas instead though.