PDA

View Full Version : AERAD amendment

pembroke
3rd Aug 2008, 09:41
Just opened the large amendment for my recently purchased AERAD UK&Ireland touring guide. There are many changes to a well known and welcome format but I'm sure in time they will become familiar. However the lowest final approach groundspeed/ descent rate for a given glideslope angle is 100kts. In the previous airline world there was always a hot debate re Jepp vv AERAD, could a Jepp user tell me what GS is retained. I have some very old Jepp plates for training and 70kts and 90kts are given.
I also see "EU Ops" in the margin, I guess AERAD will plead that the plate is to an EU/ICAO standard, but that doesn't help my IMC students

FSJ
3rd Aug 2008, 13:59
Agreed.

However, if you teach your student to calculate ROD based on ground speed for an ILS, it should be equally effective.....
rule of thumb = for a 3 degree Glidepath use 5 x Ground Speed and so on.
EG: Ground speed 80 kts, ROD required = 400 fpm.

On a non-precision approach you can calculate the ROD required fairly easily. Normally on a light general aviation aircraft it is desirable to reach MDA by approx 1nm before MAPt. Therefore, if the MAP is defined by timing, calculate your rate of descent based on feet per minute. If it is based on DME, calculate it based on feet per nautical mile, (then from there you can always convert it into feet per minute). Airlines will generally fly a 3 degree path from FAF to Mapt, add 50ft to MDA, and treat it as a DA.

As a general rune, I usually teach my students to have an altitude check half way between the FAF and MAPt. If they are slightly high, increase ROD by 100 fpm, if slightly low, reduce ROD by 100 fpm (obviously respecting any 'not below' altitude fixes).

Should get your student thinking and planning more about the approach on the ground, which will lead to better understanding of these concepts and ultimately better performance in the air.

Hope this helps.

pembroke
4th Aug 2008, 09:39
FSJ, thanks for the info.
I talked to AERAD this morning and the new amendment originated in Sweden and apparently cat A aircraft are not included or expected to use these plates! The amendment is beyond AERAD's control but has solicited many comments from UK GA and helicopter operators. I guess it is "watch this space" but if there is no change, I will reluctantly have to use Jeppesen

kui2324
6th Aug 2008, 11:42
I emailed them and received this:

We are currently working on a solution to the Cat A situation and I will be able to provide a definite answer by the middle of next week.

Judging by the tone of the various loops the email had been round - quite a few of us have been in touch!