PDA

View Full Version : JAR PPL Enroute section

BigEndBob
2nd Aug 2008, 20:09
Fellow examiners.

Anybody point me in the direction of the official CAA publication that describes the Navigation enroute section of the JAR PPL Skill test.

For example are the legs A to B to C with diversion off the B to C leg or something different?

Examiner handbook doesn't say clearly, nor the Doc 19 for the candidate.
Need it all in black and white.

Thanks BEB.

BEagle
2nd Aug 2008, 21:36
It used to be described quite clearly in the old Standards Document 20, but that's been withdrawn.....:hmm:

Standards Document 19v4 para 3.6.6 is about all the real guidance there is these days.

I use a first leg of 40-50 nm and act as an 'intelligent passenger'. I will point out any other aircraft I see and just ask the applicant to tell me the ETA for the turning point and describe what he/she's doing if correcting a track error or updating the ETA.

The second leg is planned as 50-60nm; however, after 10 min the 'weather ahead deteriorates' and the applicant is then asked to divert to somewhere I indicate to him/her - but only when he/she is ready.

BigEndBob
2nd Aug 2008, 22:52
Thanks, just as i have been doing, but have seen slightly different interpretation of doc 19v4 by an examiner causing some confussion.

Having been frustrated all afternoon trying to find the document in which the nav. section was described in more detail.

Alas no longer available.

Nice if we all sing from the same Hymn sheet.

hugh flung_dung
3rd Aug 2008, 20:06
The "suggested brief" in appendix 2 of the FE Handbook backs-up what's in SD19 (diversion from second leg) - I do the same as BEagle. The only question I've seen (and discussed here) is where to put-in the radnav fix, everything else seems clear.

HFD

BigEndBob
3rd Aug 2008, 20:51
I have seen the 'second leg' taken as being the diversion leg.
Which i pointed out to be incorrect so wanted the flight described in more detail, in 'black and white'.

I'm ok with the candidate doing a fix on the 2nd leg, diversion or ask to perform after the instrument turn, simulating unsure of position.