PDA

View Full Version : Converting from SA ICAO to Canadian

rudder hard over
2nd Aug 2008, 13:55
Hi Guys

I am currently flying B732's in South Africa. I was wandering if anyone can lend some advice to me. I am wanting to move to Canada and continue flying in Canada. Any advice on whats required. I would like to continue flyig jets and would be interested in joining a Canadian Airline.

Many thanks

Jimmy Do Little
15th Aug 2008, 04:58
It's highly unlikely that you'd be able to secure a "Direct Entry Command" position onto a jet of any type in Canada. However, you should be able to find employment with one the hundereds of smaller regional, or charter airlines. The larger operators work on a "Seniority System" so you would have to put in your time as an F/O, S/O, etc, before moving to Command.

Converting the license is the easy part. Simply contact a Transport Canada licensing Inspector, and submit the required documents. You'll have to undertake a few written exams - ATPL, IFR, etc, and complete a flight test.

IM me, and I'll send you the contact details for one of the better TC license inspectors who can help you.

Cheers

rudder hard over
3rd Sep 2008, 18:22
Fantastic JDL. Thanks for the Info. I will do some homework and IM you soon.

RHO

remarkablebean
5th Sep 2008, 15:01
Good Luck RHO. The one thing that would need to be mentioned is the immigration status you'd hold entering the country...and that might be a factor which would need some examination, even though there might be some work in the secondary/smaller operators here.

Kennytheking
11th Sep 2008, 17:05
Hi Jimmy Do Little

How easy would it be for a relatively experienced pilot to gain employment with the smaller regionals/charter operators as a step towards immigration?

Thanks

KTK

b737NGyyc
13th Sep 2008, 22:23
I am afraid it would not be easy at all because you are putting the cart in front of the proverbial horse. You are required to have the right to work in Canada before any employer can offer you employment.

Your previous pilot experience will not really be any help a great deal as any company flying jets will require you go through the normal new hire process.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Kennytheking
14th Sep 2008, 04:28
I am afraid it would not be easy at all because you are putting the cart in front of the proverbial horse. You are required to have the right to work in Canada before any employer can offer you employment.

Skilled workers and professionals - Selection factor: Arranged employment (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/factor-employment.asp)

Perhaps I misunderstood?

Your previous pilot experience will not really be any help a great deal as any company flying jets will require you go through the normal new hire process.

Perhaps you could clarify this statement. I never said I want to shortcut the interview process. IMHO experience has always been an important factor when it comes to getting the job?