PDA

View Full Version : Painting name on hangar roof

xrayalpha
30th Jul 2008, 11:28
Hi,

Anyone painted on new Plastisol-coated corrugated steel?

What sort of paint have you used and did it have a long life?

Tried the official web sites and found steelseal paint, but looking for cheaper household type stuff - the letters will be big!

Very best

XA

modelman
30th Jul 2008, 11:55
Spoke to my brother in law who used to sell coated steel and he said regular paint will not adhere very well to Plastisol.
He advised to contact Beckers Paints:
Beckers Paints - Home (http://www.beckerspaints.co.uk)

who apparently make suitable stuff.(don't know about cost though...)

MM

Oldpilot55
30th Jul 2008, 18:10
Colin

You could save a lot of money by only painting the relevant letters..Straven.

BackPacker
30th Jul 2008, 18:52
I was doing some research a while ago about stuff to put on the (cement) floor of the attic of my parents house. To my surprise I found that covering the floor with proper wood-imitation laminate from the local DIY store (or IKEA) was cheaper than painting it with a paint designed for cement/concrete. Faster too.

What I mean is, be creative. It might be cheaper for instance to pick up a batch of 30x30 cm street tiles, paint them white using anything you've got available (a cheap bucket of latex will probably do just fine) and lay them in the grass spelling out the name. Just as visible from the air and much easier to maintain.

flybymike
30th Jul 2008, 23:18
I trust you are not intending to emulate the welsh farmer who, fed up with the local RAF low flying , painted "Pi55 off Biggles " on his barn roof?

From then on it became an unmistakeable VRP....

xrayalpha
31st Jul 2008, 07:47
Hi all,

Just a bit of a sucker for tradition.

The old collapsed hanger had a red roof with Strathaven painted on it in white, so when we went for planning we asked for a red roof again with the white letters!

The old hanger with the word Strathav can be seen on Microsoft's Live Earth thingy:

Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible (http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=55.678815~-4.108962&style=h&lvl=19&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&where1=ML10%206rw&encType=1)

They obviously hadn't finished painting the word when the pic was taken!

Google Earth is a blur out here!

Very best,

Colin

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
31st Jul 2008, 09:39
Even if you include your Post Code, as the Police suggest, some bugger will still steal it!