PDA

View Full Version : Instructional rate for Microlights

hugh flung_dung
28th Jul 2008, 08:42
I'm starting to convert onto a weight-shift microlight (after several decades of 3-axis aircraft:eek:) and was slightly surprised to find that the "going rate" for FIs is £65/hour! Is this true everywhere, or just a local blip?

HFD

BEagle
28th Jul 2008, 10:55
I understand that's about the average!

Given the effect of weather on Microlight flying, it can't be easy to make much dosh out of it - good luck to them, I say!

airborne_artist
28th Jul 2008, 11:09
BEagel is partially correct. The other factor is that microlight hours do not count for those heading to a job with an airline, so you have to pay the full rate, not a discounted rate based on the premise that your instructor will shortly get a job with EasyRyan.

GyroSteve
28th Jul 2008, 14:20
I think you may be talking about the charge-out rates rather than pay rates.

When you garage charges you £80 an hour for a mechanic I doubt whether that's the rate which the mechanic gets paid ....

But it's true that microlight (and similar) training rates aren't subsidised by hour-builders in the same way as the fixed-wing world.

Sole
29th Jul 2008, 12:58
Currently Pay £90 an hour for an hour in the Air (No groundschool). That covers fuel, landing fees etc

Went over to Portugal, and did 10 hours over there and worked out about £110 an hour in the air, and then £30 for an hours groundschool.

You pay for quality.
As well as everything else :D
Hope this helps!

Sole