PDA

View Full Version : Guernsey for lunch on friday

easy307
23rd Jul 2008, 21:22
Any recommendations for a nice restaurant in Guernsey for lunch on Friday?

cheeseman
23rd Jul 2008, 22:01
Just made my first trip to the Fermain Beach Cafe. Great place, stunning views if you get good weather, and about 10 min from the airport in a cab. Hope you have a great time on 'the rock'!

Guern
23rd Jul 2008, 22:29
Too many to name!

One of the good things about living on the rock is that if they aren't any good they don't last long!

Any particular type of cuisine you are looking for?
We have loads of different types!

easy307
24th Jul 2008, 07:11
Seafood with a view or French food ?

frontlefthamster
24th Jul 2008, 08:10
If you're after seafood or something French, I can recommend lots of good places.

They may not fit your plans, though as they're, erm, in France. Near the sea! Of course, I'm sure you'd be disappointed at the low landing fees, hassle-free airport security, friendly and attentive staff etc...

(Nothing against Guernsey per se, just that if I was going for lunch somewhere round there, I'd choose Cherbourg, Deauville, etc...)

wsmempson
24th Jul 2008, 11:10
FLH if you could recommend some decent restaurants on the Cherbourg peninsular, I for one would be hugely grateful. (Other than Luc and Edith at LFRC...):)

S-Works
24th Jul 2008, 12:16
I can reccomend Christies and Le Nautique. I was at Christies on Saturday and as usual good food and service. There is also a sea food place on the edge of the harbour looking over the fort that I cant remember the name off but the food was great. Riva is also pretty good. otherside of the island is Crabby jacks which has always been worth a visit.

Islander2
24th Jul 2008, 19:32
Oh for goodness sake, bose-x, next time you're in Guernsey you really must let me show you the good places!

Travelling to Guernsey for lunch, I imagine most people would want great sea views, a nice atmosphere and food that can be relied upon to be well above average.

That rules out Christies, where you're more than likely to have no view at all and where the food has every chance of being very average.

Le Nautique is a big step in the right direction, but IMHO would be a better choice in the evening.

Crabby Jacks is a great evening venue to watch the sun go down, just be sure to take your own food!! Lunchtime ... forget it.

Riva? I stopped going to places like that shortly after starting to wear long trousers! It is destined to be one of Guernsey's here-today, gone-tomorrow eateries.

Place on the edge of the harbour looking over the fort? I presume you mean Saltwater, the ruined reincarnation of what was possibly the Island's best informal seafood restaurant - Berties Landing - which I frequented more times than I care to remember. Saltwater is the only place I have ever experienced all three courses plus the coffee tasting near identical, i.e. flavourless! Always one to forgive an off night, I persevered on a further three occasions before vowing never to visit again.

The best lunchtime venues on Guernsey for those people looking to combine great views with above-average food are, IMHO, Fermain Beach Cafe (well recommended, cheeseman) and the Auberge at Jerbourg.

In the evening, it's Da Nellos or Le Petit Bistro for consistently the Island's best fish or best meat respectively, or Christophe's for the best French- fine-dining experience. La Fregate hotel should still get a mention, although it's a shadow of its former self. It's still capable of producing very good food on one of its better evenings, though, and most tables have a great view over the harbour of the stunningly-lit Castle Cornet.

easy307
24th Jul 2008, 19:33
Many thanks for the ideas, I'll let you all know how we get on.

mad_jock
25th Jul 2008, 00:30
I can recommend

Christophe's Restaurant | Fermain Valley Hotel Guernsey (http://www.fermainvalley.com/Wine-And-Dine/Christophe-Restaurant/Default.aspx)

He does do a lunch menu which is pretty good and if you have ladys with you they will like it. In fact the fermain lunch menu is pretty good. Under 20 quid a head excluding wine.

Wouldn't bother with a taxi a 7A bus every half hour for 60p a head will take you from the airport to the fermain or into town in 20 mins.

If you are into Thia food without a doudt the best place is the terrace bar just up the hill from HMV in town. It's the only thing which even pretends to be fast food on the island. The Jungle curry is an experence..... the thia green curry is the dogs danglies. My personal fav is the chilli with french bread with a pint of diet coke and a times to read.

Christies is OK in my view but not the best you can get. The pub near the underground hospital serves pretty decent food for 6 quid a head. And the tunnels are well worth a look.

As another poster has said that food places don't last long if they are crap on the island, it is true it doesn't matter if you go to a posh nosh place or the breakfast hut near the M&S out of town its all good stuff.

easy307
25th Jul 2008, 22:13
We had a great trip to Guernsey today. First time there, and it is a busy little island. The taxi driver said there are 40000 cars on the island.
Ended up going to Le Nautique. Sea Bass with crab had some nice flavours. The portion was very large, which to me was a little off putting. Especially with a tight mass and balance after refuelling. Service was good, and home made ice cream very nice.
Also has a pleasant view of the harbour.
Next time I think we shall try the Fermain Beach Cafe as it sounds great.

mad_jock
26th Jul 2008, 00:59
If it doesn't break your user name which aircraft did you arrive in?

I gave a wave to a very nice looking none local single with pax in the back.

Glad you had a stress free visit.

easy307
26th Jul 2008, 07:34
Fuji FA-200.
We think it is a nice single. Not so common, and built well, but not a flashy plane.