PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Hello (again)

omcaree
17th Jul 2008, 11:30
As the title says, no real point to this thread, just re-introducing myself.

I vanished off this forum a few years ago when I, unfortunately, also vanished from flying. A number of things conspired against me flying; increasing workload at uni, decreasing bank balance, 30 mins/flight waiting around for the big boys to get out of my way (East Mids only ever seemed to be busy when I was there :sad: ). So I decided to pack it up until I graduated, filling my time with fast cars instead.

However, back in June I got a letter from the CAA informing me that my licence was about to expire. To prevent this I'd have to fill out a form, send them a copy of my medical (which had also expired), and some money (obviously :( ). This prompted me to get back into flying, despite having a year left at uni.

After flying from both Cranfield and East Midlands previously, I decided I'd prefer somewhere a bit quieter, and probably grass. And ideally equidistant between home and uni. Luckily for me, Sibson fit this bill perfectly.

So, over the course of the last few weeks I've had a few lessons to get myself back up to speed. Despite not flying for 2.5 years I seemed to have no real problems, just like riding a bike :cool: . Although, the first stall I did I forgot to apply any power during the recovery, resulting in quite a bit of lost height :\ . And my first flapless approach was done with 20* of flap :rolleyes: .

Yesterday I undertook my SEP renewal test, and passed. So I can now call myself a pilot again :)

I still have an IMC rating which is many moons out of date. But instead of lots of long distance touring, where an IMC comes in handy, I intend to start flying aerobatics, so don't really need it.

Weather permitting I've got my first solo flight in years tomorrow and then an aerobatic lesson in a Pitts next week, can't wait :cool:

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are questioning whether they can really justify flying in todays economy. But you can take it from me that, justified or not, after 2 years off you'd do anything to get airborne again!.

Apologies for the useless thread, but I promise to contribute something shortly! :O

Cheers,
Owen Mc

Keygrip
17th Jul 2008, 15:57
As the title says, no real point to this thread, just re-introducing myself.
Then this should be on Facebook - not PPRuNe.