PDA

View Full Version : FI Rating Training Organisations UK

Stratus Fractus
15th Jul 2008, 00:39
Hi Folks,
Tried a search but "FI Rating" confuses the system, and no stickies I can see.
I am starting to think about getting my FI Rating. Can someone give me the standard "short list" of training providers in the UK. I'm thinking along the lines of quality, full time, quick as possible, dedicated training organisations. Location not necassarily important as I live in the sticks and I know I cant do it within driving distance anyway, so would be looking to rent \ B&B \ Camp locally anyway.

Any Ideas would be welcome, thanks in advance

SF.

Duchess_Driver
15th Jul 2008, 06:47
Search the CAA web-site for the following....

SRG_FCL_APPROVEDFTOS.pdf or
Standards Document 31

If you can't find it, then PM me your eMail and I'll send you an old copy.

Stratus Fractus
15th Jul 2008, 19:33
Thankyou Duchess Driver,
I have found the list in Lasors, however it just lists all the training providers- there are nearly 40 apparently!

If anyone can provide me with a few clues as to some of the organisations with the better reputations I would be very gratefull.
Cheers
SF

Duchess_Driver
15th Jul 2008, 22:25
Good ones.....

Eva at The Pilot Centre, Denham. 01895 833838.

Caroline Herd, Wycombe Air Centre, Wycombe. 01494 443737

Carol Cooper, Andrewsfield Aviation, Andrewsfield, Essex. 01371 856744

But they are all SE based. Probably not ideal for a lad from the sticks.

Won't be long before others recommend someone a bit closer.

scherzo
16th Jul 2008, 11:58
For FIC, try Aviation South West at Exeter....

PPRuNeUser0173
16th Jul 2008, 12:17
Try Advanced Flight Training at Sherburn in Elmet Yorkshire. Brilliant course conducted by an excellent Instructor

Stratus Fractus
16th Jul 2008, 16:15
Thanks everyone,
Some very useful recomendations there, it is interesting how many of the (apparently) smaller outfits are getting the thumbs up, and it is obviously places like that which really rely on word of mouth rather than glossy advertising, so maybe wouldnt be such obvious contenders looking through the advertising sections in the mags.
Cheers
SF

skyhigher
18th Jul 2008, 16:05
as your location is egpx i can suggest tayflite at perth, Sid (ex tayside) is now instructing there and from memory he can do FI ratings. Might even be a job going there after, i understand they are recruiting for Perth and Cumbernauld airports.

Or you could try Steve Marples of Aerotraining Newcastle (try newcastle aeroclub to contact him), does the whole thing one on one if no other student, excellent course and first class instructor and nice guy. cheap to.

best of luck.

All Up Weight
20th Jul 2008, 11:41
If you want to travel a little further south, try Alan Cooper at Retford Flying School (Gamston Airport). Excellent 1:1 FIC course in a 152 from a very friendly airport.

RTN11
20th Jul 2008, 11:57
What would you say are the chances of getting a FTO to give you a free FI in return for working for them for a period of time?

Stratus Fractus
20th Jul 2008, 15:47
Again, Thanks for the replies, plenty of homework for me.

As for getting someone to pay for the FI Rating, I would have thought it was entirely feasible, as long as you have made yourself useful round the club for a while and they like you attitude and think you will be competant etc.

I have sort of been offered this already, but at the age of 31 I would prefer to pay my own way and keep my options open.

Cheers, SF

madlandrover
21st Jul 2008, 21:58
Also worth trying Craig Padfield at Halfpenny Green Flight Centre, Wolverhampton. I'm biased as an ex-student of his, but he's a practical man with a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Didn't know Sid had gone to Tayflite, I'd heard Loganair. He's also a pretty good alround FI, teaches a sensible course.

18greens
22nd Jul 2008, 19:45
....and always good for a laugh a left field entry, DEFTS at Barkston Heath.

RAF training by RAF instructors in RAF aircraft on a RAF field. None of your rubbish portacabins on a rubbish field with rubbish coffee.

Try it.

madlandrover
22nd Jul 2008, 20:16
Fair point, the DEFTS course is pretty good - nice aircraft, SIDs and SRAs for poorer weather, etc... Not sure about the emphasis on RAF though (RAF BH and the CP/CFI excepted!) - JEFTS ceased existence a while back when the RAF left. The overall boss of the school is a Commander RN, for example.

Stratus Fractus
23rd Jul 2008, 00:19
Hi 18 Greens,
That does sound quite interesting. I agree that coffee is probably one of the most dissapointing aspects of private flying. Are you sure they have better beans there?

Anyway how come they would teach a civvy? Can't see any mention of it on the most obvious google entry for it. I bet it costs a lot too?

It would be quite good if somewhere along the way they forgot you were the civvy and accidently sent you on to fly Hawks at Valley. Cant really see that happening though..

Cheers SF

18greens
23rd Jul 2008, 20:01
How come they do civvy...?

DEFTS is run by Babcocks on contract to the Navy and Army for basic training. The through flow varies. If they have spare capacity they take civvies. They are more than happy to take your money and give you a very high quality product in return. As for the costs its cheaper than a lot, if not all schools.

If you are any good its not impossible to get a job there afterwards.

Its also great to see how the forces fly, it will spoil you for flying in the future. (8.30 AM synchronise watches, wx brief, a man gets the ac out for you, fills them up, puts them away)

The contact is Tim Wooltorton.

airborne_artist
24th Jul 2008, 10:26
a man gets the ac out for you, fills them up, puts them away

Quite right too :E