PDA

View Full Version : PPL medical - taking before expiry

rusty sparrow
14th Jul 2008, 12:06
My JAR Class 2 medical expires when I'm on holiday next month. How soon before expiry can I take it? Anything like an MoT when I can apply 4 weeks before expiry? And any recommended examiners in the Hemel Hempstead/St Albans area?

IRISHPILOT
14th Jul 2008, 12:10
you can take it anytime you want. If within 45 days of expiry, which is your case, the new validity will be as if taken on the last day of validity.

sorry, no idea about examiners in your area.

cheers IP

Fright Level
14th Jul 2008, 12:20
You can search the CAA website for a local AME at this page:

Medical Examiners Database Search | Medical | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=65&appid=21)

Blue Albatross
15th Jul 2008, 06:56
I was in a similar situation as yourself, and found there was no problem to do it anytime before the expiry date at all.

They'll just send you out the new Medical Cert and you use that going forward

172driver
15th Jul 2008, 07:42
As Irishpilot says, within 45 days of expiry gives you the original date. If Stansted Airport fits in your travel plans, try Peter Orton @ Aviation Medica (http://www.aviation-medica.co.uk/). He's located on the north side of the airport (you can take an employee shuttle from the main terminal if arriving by train).

rusty sparrow
16th Jul 2008, 05:39
Thanks for the info folks - is the medical a standard cost? Or worth shopping around?

AMEandPPL
16th Jul 2008, 08:01
is the medical a standard cost? Or worth shopping around?

AME's set their own charges, and there are some quite wide variations. Hate to have to admit it, but some of my colleagues are well known to be a bit on the greedy side ! No names, of course !

The stated timing is correct : no time is lost if medical is revalidated within the period of 45 days prior to the last certificate's expiry.

172driver
16th Jul 2008, 08:07
It can be worth shopping around, but you'll have to weigh any savings against time and travel cost.

AMEandPPL
16th Jul 2008, 08:18
you'll have to weigh any savings against time and travel cost

That's very true, of course.

Familiarity can also be very important, especially if there are any little minor problems or anomalies. Having previous records and information about someone can make decision making much easier than when faced with a "new" problem in a complete stranger !

I'm often amazed (and very touched) when I realise how far some folk come to see me every year. The longest are now about twenty-two years continuously !

rusty sparrow
16th Jul 2008, 08:40
Had one examiner recommended to me - he chages £120 including EGC - just phoned another one who chargs £175 for the same thing.

AMEandPPL
16th Jul 2008, 11:15
he charges £120 including ECG - just phoned another one who charges £175 for the same thing

Glad to see that my rates seem to be reasonably average - here a Class 2 including ECG is £ 148.

One other thing which might influence the final price payable, but which is outside our control, is whether VAT is included. Pilots' "fitness to fly" medical examinations are now subject to VAT at standard rate, but this would NOT need to be charged by AME's who are not VAT registered. In practice this is likely to mean the smaller, less busy, practices, whose turnover is below the threshold for being VAT registered.