PDA

View Full Version : Lowest hours DA pilot?

sicobra
6th Jul 2008, 21:56
Judging by the CAA recomendations in CAP403 for hours needed before getting a DA, who has the least hours and has got either a formation DA or aeros DA and what hours have you got as P1 and in total. Just interested to see whose proved themselves capable without having thousands of hours, cheers.:ok:

englishal
7th Jul 2008, 04:42
Many people learn on the DA20

:}

md 600 driver
7th Jul 2008, 06:46
i take you mean DISPLAY not diamond

sicobra
7th Jul 2008, 07:33
Yes, formation DA, not Diamond.:ok:

formationfoto
7th Jul 2008, 07:56
Watch this space........ :-)

'Chuffer' Dandridge
7th Jul 2008, 12:26
The recommendations for flying experience in CAP403 are just that... There's no hard or fast rule, but as a CAA DA Evaluator, I'd be looking to see whether the candidate can fly a safe display, with at least some 'spare capacity' to ensure that if something did go wrong, or circumstances changed, he or she could cope in a safe manner.

I've had pilots coming to me straight from PPL issue and were told to come back when they had some relevant experience. Likewise, I've also had 1000hr pilots who could not fly the display sequence they said they were going to and were a liability to both themselves and the public. For the inexperienced guys looking to get a DA, I'm told that CAA takes a dim view of those who see the Display Authorisation as just another rating to obtain and then impress their mates in the flying club bar. Sadly, this does happen.....

A lot of candidates are low time PPLs who may have purchased a unique aircraft and want to display it. With a sensible attitude, and a good mentoring and training programme, there's no reason why any capable pilot shouldn't get a DA with less hours than quoted in CAP403. The CAA GA Dept has the final say on any recommendation a DA Evaluator may make. So sometimes, you may not get what you think you were getting,

Holding a DA entitles you to nothing more than being able to appear at a public Flying Display..It doesn't give you the experience, the credibility or the right to fly low.

You dont have to be a 1000hr ace, but I'd prefer a 1000hr ACE to a 100hr hr 'ace' who was overconfident of his/her abilities...

Charles Sierra
8th Jul 2008, 06:32
Any news yet Sicobra ?. PM me if you wish :ok: