PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning Stansted

nmcpilot
4th Jul 2008, 16:56
Apologies if this question has been asked before but anyway, was planning a flight from Cambridge to Southend next week would usually route around the Stansted zones. Just wondering what the likelihood of getting a zone transit clearance from Essex Radar so I could route directly through the Stansted delta zone was? I've heard they are usually too busy to accept light aircraft through, is this still the case? Or can you call them up via telephone and ask them first maybe??

Received SVFR through Heathrow's zone no problem one time but never managed to get much of a response from Stansted.

jxc
4th Jul 2008, 17:19
Go under the pan handle upto 1500' on the east side

Cheers

vintage ATCO
4th Jul 2008, 17:25
If you don't ask you'll never know. :)

Pointless phoning beforehand, (Essex Radar is done from Swanwick these days if you didn't know that.) Looking at the track Cambridge to Southend it goes through the rwy 23 approach so if they are busy on that runway, probably not. Prob most preferred option is over the top at right angles to the runway but that is probably more miles than going around the CTA to the NE.

nmcpilot
4th Jul 2008, 17:34
Well I know I could route around below 1500 on the east side, usually do that when going somewhere like Earls Colne just felt like something different. Maybe give them a call and see what happens, usually I'm flying around waiting for a call back and end up telling them to Disregard and doing something else lol ahh well.

Nashers
5th Jul 2008, 05:01
i flew from duxford to stapleford a couple of months ago and got transit right over the 23 numbers and their tower at 1500ft! just decided in the air that we would try our luck or just go between the luton/ stansted zones.

if i were you i would give them a ring before leaving to ask how busy they are or even ask cambridge tower to contact them before you takeoff so they know to expect you.

head down to BKY and contact them ASAP. ask for zone transit routing BKY to chelmsford. that will have you clear of approach and departure as your at 90 degrees to the runway. its a great view when you see a line of ryanairs ready for departure and a 747F taking off right under you!!

Fright Level
5th Jul 2008, 08:12
I think the Stansted traffic that would affect your clearance is so dynamic that's it's pointless calling beforehand. A confident radio call 5 mins prior to entry is the best way. As you spelled the airport name correctly (most don't!) I expect you'll get a practise ILS thrown in on your way past too :)

Fuji Abound
5th Jul 2008, 09:49
Yes, you do get clearance.

As usual give them as much notice on your call up as possible with the request for transit. Sometimes if it is at first refused offer to hold clear of CAS pending onward clearance and you might then be offered the transit - of course by then it is unlikely to save you any time.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
5th Jul 2008, 10:04
In all my time based in Essex and flying around Stansted and requesting zone transits, I have only ever received one and that was when I landed there back in 1990! It's Class D, so should be available on a tactical basis. Maybe filed in the 'too difficult' box?

So now, I never bother speaking to them. IMHO, the most unhelpful ATC unit in the UK:=

Actually, that's not quite true. Shoreham & Redhill are equally unhelpful

IO540
5th Jul 2008, 10:07
It's just an extra few mins' flying time to go around these zones - not worth the extra radio work IMHO.

Cusco
5th Jul 2008, 11:13
I went to the Stansted 'know your local ATC' tower visit a month ago.

They were very friendly and said , when asked , they weren't 'anti GA' - an accusation often levelled at them. That said it's not the tower who issue clearances, so you'd have to talk to Essex radar.

Essex radar are usually frantically busy and are pretty good judges of a pilot's ability by his R/T manner, so drop your voice a couple of octaves, know exactly what you want to say and say it clearly.

And have an alternate route ready for when you get the almost inevitable 'remain outside controlled airspace'.

In 15 years I've only ever got one transit, not across the runway, but along it from N Weald to our strip east of Lakenheath.

I was initially refused, but when I saw my alternate route to the East was blocked by a wall of CBs I asked again and they slotted me in.

All future attempts were refused so I don't bother now. But, like the man once said, 'nothing ventured, nothing gained'.

Cusco.

DC10RealMan
5th Jul 2008, 11:35
Once you are airborne you might want to make the initial request via London Information, they can take the details and make the request via their direct telephone line to Essex Radar. It is more dynamic, Essex can see you on their radar but you will not be using their RT time.

Cusco
5th Jul 2008, 11:45
DC10:

Problem there is if he really wants to go DCT to Southend he'll be busy in the short time from EGSC to Stansted CTA, negotiating a transit over Duxford, where this time of the year, they have all sorts of stuff screaming about in their overhead.

Best to avoid Stansted altogether and go round to the north IMHO: he can always descend to 1400ft and nip under the space south of Haverhill, but then he'll have the gliding at Wethersfield to contend with.;)

Cusco

Nashers
5th Jul 2008, 16:02
"It's just an extra few mins' flying time to go around these zones - not worth the extra radio work IMHO. "

well yes your going into class D airspace so there is more to do on the radio. saying that its deffo worth the view.

TotalBeginner
6th Jul 2008, 12:46
I wonder if they'd be so quick to refuse a transit if you filed a FPL beforehand? Obviously if it's VFR you'd have to make sure it was addressed to them.

VFE
6th Jul 2008, 13:34
All this talk of Essex Radar and not a mention of Farnborough who now provide the LARS around that area?

VFE.

Barnaby the Bear
6th Jul 2008, 13:38
Thats because Farnborough are not the controlling authority of the Stansted zone.

VFE
6th Jul 2008, 13:44
I might be confused here as I've done quite a few flights around there in the past few months but could've sworn the last time one was going to contact Essex Radar, Luton Approach told me to contact Farnborough instead?

No reference to zone transits in my posting.

VFE.

Barnaby the Bear
6th Jul 2008, 14:27
G-EMMA correct. Farnborough are LARS, therefore are there for traffic outside controlled airspace (class G) as per the published charts. If you require zone transit (Class D) you can only get that from Essex Radar (in this case).
However, if you are receiving a service from Farnborough they may be able to negotiate a zone clearence and handover for you.